Friday, January 27, 2017

January Comforts

I have reached "that"point in January and am sure some afternoons spent tromping through the woods or some long walks in general would lift my spirits, and as soon as the sky stops spitting out rain and rain-that-isn't-sure-if-it-would-rather-turn-into-snow-yes-let's-be-snow-now-no-let's-turn-back-to-rain every day, life will feel a bit brighter.  We had a couple gorgeous days in the sixties last week, but I had hurt my back and didn't feel up to getting outside to enjoy them.  Ohhhhhhhhhhh BLEHHHHHHH, January 2017 is getting to me, but it is especially book-filled, and Stuffed has been making a nest of a throw pillow and sometimes an afghan on my lap every time I sit down to read lately. 
In addition to all the usual news articles, I've made my way through my probably-annual rereading of the Laura Ingalls Wilder series, have gotten a few chapters into The King's Grave:  The Discovery of Richard III's Lost Burial Place and the Clues It Holds by Philippa Langley, and am now beginning chapter forty-three of Stephen King's The Stand.  'A rather mixed bag the past few weeks, as my reading tends to be, and I'm enjoying it all--as  much as one can use that word for taking in some of the news (and some of The Stand, for that matter)Winter after winter after winter--in any season, but ohhhhh, these winters, especially--the reading saves me.  And thank God for this floofy little cat on my lap while I do it

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Hope you are feeling much better real soon dear Val.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Me too I hope the sun comes out for you..
The sun'll come out tomorrow..tomorrow!

Grey here too..books..you would like a little watercolor set ..me thinks:)

Lisa said...

Yes, such a lovely companion. :) I am finally feeling myself again, and ready to read Arcadia!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Take care of you; Jan is a good time to settle in and be cozy. Around here, there's no dearth of fluff to keep one's lap warm.

Marie Rayner said...

How cute is Stuffed. I am so thankful for our furry family member also. Where would we be without their unconditional love and comforts! There is nothing like the Little House Books for winter comfort. I would add Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and The Five Little Peppers to the list. I think The Stand was the best book Stephen King ever wrote. Hope you feel better soon! xoxo

Val said...

Thank you all. 'Almost February! :)

Lisa, I'm glad you're finally feeling better. ♥

Marie, I have yet to read The Five Little Peppers, but I had heard of it before. 'Will move it higher onto my list of things to read. Thank you. :)