Monday, July 27, 2015

I am in love with the commonplace. I love to make it shine--by holding it in the right light. ~ Jim Wayne Miller

'Making up my oatmeal "packet" for work when I noticed how pretty my gathered supplies were.  The rest of the apartment still feels chaotic and in need of a good sort after last weekend's trip, but this tiny corner, at least, looks sweet.  Temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties this week, and a big BLECCCCHHHH may I say to that!  But!  I try not to complain, so. . . !  I've lost ten pounds since deciding once again to get back on-track this summer, so there is that, and there is Mike's thirty-ninth birthday tomorrow, and my days off tomorrow and Wednesday, and a healthy cat currently curled up beside the patchwork cupboards, and both a family reunion and a visit with Aunt Laurie in the weeks ahead (assuming I get the days off, but I'm hopeful), and now, brown sugar-cinnamon oatmeal and almonds packed into my work bag.  

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Awwww, there's that lovely kitty, feeling like himself again! Praise the Lord!
You are right, Val, and when the commonplace is held in the right light, it becomes obvious that it isn't common after all. I hope you get to see Aunt Laurie!!

La Table De Nana said...

I love little corners that make me feel good when I look at them..ingredients..a fave corner to read..a photo..kitchen stuff..art supplies...books a bloom..the sky.
My kind of rich.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

congratulations on the weight loss, Val, well done! the commonplace is all I have surrounding me and that's a good thing...in my book -smile-.

Val said...

Thank you all. ♥ 'Am "preaching to the choir" with that quote and with you guys, I know. :)

asmplelife said...

Ten pounds! Wow - good for you! It is not easy losing weight, is it? I love oatmeal oh so much and discovered a wonderful source for the most delicious oatmeal recipes. Check out The Oatmeal Artist. She is fearless when it comes to mixing flavors! Well done with the weight loss, Val =)

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl. It's such an issue for me. I lost 55 pounds between 2007-2009, but the weight crept back on, and it continues to go up and down for me--a life-long issue. I know what it's like to be 250 pounds, and I know what it's like to have a coworker tell me she can fit me into her pocket when I'm a tiny size 6. I've come to think of struggling with one's weight as being like teaching or working in food service: This is just a life experience everyone should have at least once, just so they can understand what it's like and develop the compassion that comes with it.

Thank you for the oatmeal recommendations--I will check them out. :)