Thursday, February 8, 2007

Pen and Paper Visits

My grandmother and I were pen pals. We lived near each other until I left for college, but we both loved writing—and receiving—letters, so our correspondence was more a way to tuck some extra love into each other’s days than it was to bridge long distances or stretches of time between visits. My letters were always addressed to “Papa and Grandma,” but it was Grandma who would write back for the both of them. (Sometimes, though, she would add a postscript from my grandfather, and reading them delights me still. P.S. Papa says not to take any wooden nickels.) When I was a little girl, my “letters” were drawings and pictures made of magazine clippings. Grandma’s letters usually included comic strips from the Sunday paper and a dollar bill. My grandfather died in the spring of 2001 and Grandma died five weeks later. I didn't know until I helped clean out their house that year that they had saved all of their mail from me. For years I had been saving most of my mail, too, so maybe I should have suspected that I’d gotten this sentimental tendency from someone. Still, it is really quite something to be organizing into stacks everyday items stored in shoe-boxes and hat-boxes—Things That Can Go to Goodwill, Things Aunt Sophie Might Like to Have Now—and happen upon luggage filled with a lifetime’s worth of your own letters. And when, seemingly hours later, you come to and look up from the now-disheveled heaps of envelopes and note cards spread out on the floor all around you, you want to run downstairs to Grandma and giggle, “You saved this!? Oh my goodness! I sound so silly! Do you remember this one?” And it hits you all over again, and you realize as you push them back into a neater pile—Things That I Will Keep for Myself—that your letters and memories are yours alone now.
Grandma once sent me a photo of her and Papa with an inscription on the back that read “So you don’t forget what we look like.” I laughed when I first read that, and it still reminds me of her dry and quiet humor, but I read it now and realize that she knew countless things about time and memory that I was then too young to. Sometimes, for example, you have a hard time really seeing people until they’re not there to look at anymore.
Six years after my grandparents died, it is still a greater shock to me every night when I climb into bed that I went yet another day without having seen them than it would be if I were to walk into them on the street tomorrow.

By the time I was a teenager, Grandma needed a hearing aid and even with it couldn’t keep up with conversation as she had before. And I made it harder for her: I didn’t like drawing attention to myself by speaking loudly, so instead of managing my shyness, I simply talked with her less. I never told anyone that, so maybe my grandmother simply chalked up my even-quieter-than-usual nature to teen awkwardness or some-such. Or maybe she knew me well enough to understand. But maybe not, and my regret is only relieved by an antique suitcase filled with our correspondence.
All through college and even after, when I had graduated and moved farther away, Grandma and I wrote back and forth. She mentioned in all of her letters that she had nothing much to say, but she regularly filled the sheets of stationery anyway, always my most devoted correspondent. There’s a ballgame today, but we’re not going to it, of course; We stayed home from church today on account of my having a cold; We canned the last of the tomatoes today and will give you a few jars when we next see you. Papa would walk down to the post office and show off the colorful envelopes waiting for him to anyone there at the time, Grandma told me. “That girl!” he always exclaimed when he saw my drawings and stickers. While I often read their letters while still standing in front of my mailbox, other mail in my arms, my grandparents would wait to open my letters together, my grandfather carrying them back up the hill to their house and my grandmother reading them aloud. Grandma would write back after the Sunday dinner guests had gone home, Papa would walk her letter back down to the post office Monday morning, and I would soon be working on my reply again. This was our routine.
A few days before Christmas 2000, Grandma was diagnosed with Leukemia, and she and Papa, whose health was also failing him, were moved into a rest home. I wrote to them every other day, even as I was visiting at least once a week, wanting what Grandma called “our pen and paper visits” to continue as usual. Grandma never replied to these letters, though, and I heard of only one more “That girl!” from Papa. The day he died, one of the first things my grandmother managed to say to me was, “We read your new letter just this morning.” She asked me to be her “little secretary” and send letters breaking the news to far-away friends and family. Later she asked me to write the thank you notes for the sympathy cards. When she told me to take her address book and box of stationery home with me, I knew our days of being pen pals were over. I continued to write both for her and to her, however, sometimes sending her books and poems I thought she would like, as well. When she was transferred to the city hospital and it was explained to us that it could be days or weeks, I still wrote. I sent letters to her although she could no longer stay awake long enough to listen as someone else read them to her, and later still, when she was simply too close to death to care. One of my aunts gently told my mother that I didn’t need to write anymore, but I wasn't ready to stop.
A few months after Grandma died, I dreamed that I was standing across the road from her and Papa’s house and seeing her as she stood on the front porch opening the day’s mail. I was giddy with excitement in the dream, knowing she was about to get to the last letter I had sent, and I could barely keep my presence a secret as I watched. When she came to my envelope, her face burst into an expression of joy like none I have ever seen in this life. As she read, I crossed the road and greeted her quietly so as not to startle her. We stood on the front porch laughing and crying and hugging each other—Grandma! My grandma!—and when my alarm clock began to bleat, I woke up in tears, still feeling her soft cheek against mine. She had read my last letter. Ever-faithful, she'd gotten everything I’d been saying all along.


kent said...

Well, no wonder you're not posting on GW. You're posting beautiful, tear inducing, memoirs here.

I talked to my maternal Grandmother every day after highschool via phone when I wasn't actually seeing her in person (my other grandmother was 'grandma'). Now, I wish I too had something more tangible.

Grandmother M developed dementia, which was horrible for all of us. Mom was frustrated because her mom mostly forgot her, but always greeted me by name.

My last real dream of her was of her saying goodbye and being met by her sister Vera, another favorite relative of mine.

I'm down to one grandfather! I guess I'm luckier than many.

Thanks for sharing!
I see now that you come by your envelopes honestly... ; )

Val said...

Thank you, Kent. I was beginning to think I'd scared away the few readers I had. :)

Dementia does sound cruel--so hard on everyone involved. Your dream is lovely, though--a gift. And your grandmother must have loved her daily phone calls from you. :) That's so wonderful. Ahhh, grandparents! :)

Norm Milliken said...

This is lovely. I'm going to send you some things (via email) I wrote about my grandmother. I think you'll like them.

Val said...

Norm, thank you. And I'd be honored to read your writing.

Carol said...

Hi Val

That was beautiful! I wrote to my grandmother sporadically, but always read her letters to my parents. I was blessed to have my grandparents right up to my mid-30s. I still miss them.

Last year I lost two uncles and two aunts. If you go to my blog and check out May 2006 you'll see a letter I wrote (and read) at my (favorite) Uncle Bill's funeral. It was a hard thing to do but I got through it. My kids grew up with aunties and uncles and grandparents close by and I don't think they appreciate how wonderful that is. We had no one from either side living in the same state, and so I really cherished the times we got to spend with them.

Love and hugs---

Val said...

Thank you, Carol. I will check out your letter in your blog archives. What a beautiful thing for you to do for your uncle.

And I remember the last day or so Grandma was alive, when I posted that message on the O-T letting everyone know I was about to visit her for what would likely be the last time, you wrote back telling me to give her an extra hug for you because you still missed your own grandmother so much. I don't remember much else anyone said at the time, but I do remember that--It made it all hit home.

Thank you again.