Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday

Two doctor appointments and many still-to-be-totaled-prescriptions-and-over-the-counter-medicines-and-boxes-of-Kleenex-and-related-groceries-later, the flu rages on, and with it since last night: Pink Eye! It has been a week for the record books here, and while I would love to be the type of pure sweet soul who never utters a complaint during pain or illness, I am clearly not yet that person. It seems like every waking thought I have had since last Saturday has been one of how utterly miserable I feel and how afraid I have been that I will lose my job due to having to call off sick again. I had a good and messy crying jag when Mike got home from work last night, all stuffed-up sobbing with my mouth wide open and (pink!) eyes glued shut, tears trickling into my plugged-up ears. In case you think I exaggerate, while at this afternoon's medical appointment, the doctor briskly entered the exam room only to lose her smile and greet me instead with a startled "Girl, you are a MESS!" No, I really couldn't possibly be any more attractive this week, Ladies. Don't even try to compete. :)

Never having had Pink Eye before, I read some about it last night to prepare for today's appointment and learned that to diagnose it, doctors sometimes numb the eye before swabbing it. My friend Marylou gave me a quick pep talk on Messenger/chat today before I headed over for my now-dreaded eyeball injection or eyelid-scraping or whatever else, so I was most pleasantly surprised to be asked by the nurse merely to read lines off a standard vision chart and then told to sit back down and wait for the doctor. I think I actually said a quick "Thank You" to God as the nurse closed the door behind her, but then the joke was on me when she stepped right back in with the giant black toolbox pictured above and said, "This is for the doctor. And she'll be right with you." I probably had the "Ohh nooo!" Mr. Bill expression at that moment--hammers?! pliers? drills? DRILLS?!--but YES! Thank! You! God! I never found out what was in The Scary Box.

A prescription for my eyes, a variety of things for my throat until the lab results are back and I find out what's wrong with it--Strep has been ruled out, but Heartburn aside, I've never known such pain as whatever's been happening with my throat since last Saturday, like swallowing a broken glass-filled scouring pad over and over day and night for six days now--and I am not allowed to work tonight, so a little more rest and time to heal. Thank you for all the good wishes on my last post. I have been online at all hours this week with tea and popsicles when unable to sleep, and all the comments and emails have cheered me.    Also on the bright side, I have a new empathy for anyone with chronic pain issues. And a renewed gratitude for a husband who called me "so cute" even after my crying jag last night. And so much else to be thankful for and hopeful about, as always. This February has been a bit much, though, and now, with another swallow of the scouring pad as my eyes cloud over again, I sign off and look forward to March. 

13 comments:

FlowerLady said...

I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly Val. I hope you are soon on the road to recovery. Earlier this evening, before reading your post, DH and I were talking about childhood diseases, and I had pink eye in the first grade. I don't remember anything about it, except that I was sent home as it was contagious, if I'm not mistaken.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Lisa said...

Poor Val!!!! Oh, the throat thing sounds so terrible.
Hope it's gone soon. Prayers for you, dearie. :)

Carol said...

Oh sweetie! Here's a little story to make you smile(I hope). When my kids were little I told them that if they ate too much sugar they'd get pinkeye (they'd had pinkeye a couple of times and were at that time enamored of super sugary cereals). Many years later, my oldest came home from high school and said her classmate had pinkeye so Daughter told her friend to lay off the sugar.

At that point I had to confess. She was Not Amused. But three years later, when she overheard someone else at the school give that same advice, we had a good laugh over what seemed to be the beginning of an old wive's tale.

So if anyone tells you pinkeye comes from eating too much sugar, you know where that silliness all started! :-)

(PS My kids were so appalled that I, a former nurse, would lie to them about this, but at least they stopped eating the sugary cereals!)

Val said...

Thank you, FlowerLady, Lisa, and Lying Carol. :)

The throat pain is the worst of it. And that they can't figure out what it is if not Strep. I can't believe there's not a painkiller that they could prescribe. It is just constant all-day every day suffering from it. The prayers are appreciated so much. I am going crazy here!

CACHANILLA73 said...

Oh I am so sorry, hope and pray the medicines will work soon and you will be better. Hugs!

Val said...

Thank you, Cotty. I'm sure I'm lucky that this is the first time in my life I've been sick enough to want to ask for prayers. It's 2 a.m. here and I am coughing up a storm. It's nice to know you're out there right now. :) ♥ 'Hope you're doing well.

a simple life said...

Oh dear, Val, you do sound to be a bit of a mess! So sorry you're not feeling well...those sore throats are nothing to joke about because THEY HURT!!! I feel just awful for you. But even as sick as you are, you make me chuckle with your comments about the big scary box. I do hope you feel better. Will keep you in prayers.

Swistle said...

Oh, man, even Beth March (the epitome of cheerful illness) would have blanched at the site of that GIANT TOOL BOX.

TiffanyJane said...

Oh goodness, you poor thang!!!! You sound so miserable!!!...I feel for you!!!!!!!!! I think we have all been in that boat at some time!

Here to medicine and plenty of rest!!
Wishing you well!!!
xo Tiff

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl, Swistle, and Tiffany Jane--and everyone, again. :) I am still sick, the sore throat is still raging. I just don't know. The throat's been tested and retested, and the doctors haven't prescribed anything, so I am depending on over-the-counter meds, time, and prayers at this point. Two weeks tomorrow! :( Thank you again. ♥

Lisa said...

Hey, Val - I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog award - hope you haven't already received it!

Are you feeling better yet? I see you left a comment over at my place today - Cheryl and I have been concerned about you. xoxo

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh Val...you are having a rough patch! Pink eye is extremely contagious so take caution. I'm sending you a PM; want to send you something in the snail mail.

Val said...

Hi, Lisa and Sandra. :) Lisa, thank you--I will think about the award and five blogs soon. :) How sweet of you. Sandra, I emailed you this morning. Thank you both. ♥