Friday, July 1, 2011

In the Summertime When the Weather Is High

 About every six-eight years I get the urge to cut my hair short, and today was the day again.
As I happily walked past him after leaving the salon, a homeless man on the sidewalk turned to one of his cronies and said, "Isn't she beautiful?" but this is also the same man who mutters "Well, okay, Sir!" when I don't give him money, so I don't know if the day's first compliment really counts. :)

An endearing little "Mr. Mike thing" is his love of singing Mungo Jerry's "In the Summertime" to me to make me laugh, :) and today is the first day this summer--the first day in awhile, for that matter--where life feels carefree (even though it's not). Mike's song comes to mind today, and I will be requesting his spirited rendition of it when he gets home from work tonight. ♫ "Sing along with us, dee dee dee dee dee. Da da da da da, yeah, we're hap-pap-py...." ♫ :)

15 comments:

Kathryn said...

I just love your hair! I have that song playing WHILE I read your post -perfection!

Carol said...

It looks so pretty! Must be something in the air--I got mine colored and cut, and there is NO WAY I can reproduce the nice, sleek, straight look the hairdresser did. I just have my usual super-wavy frizz.

Lisa said...

You and Kathryn with your Mungo Jerry! But I've always like that song, too. A long time ago!

Lisa said...

Oh, your hair! Sorry, I got carried away - it looks very cute.

Val said...

Thank you all! :)

Cindy said...

I love those hair urges...I stroll in..and say cut it all off.Yep all of it?I love how light it feels..I love the bounce.
Your hair looks awesome..I know you love it..your beaming...!!

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Kent said...

Looking good! I buzzed my hair again last Sunday night, which is a 2 part process with our dinky clippers. I threatened to go to work with my patchy hair and Johnny laughed. He had come home from grocery shopping and informed me I missed the back. My mother, of all people, moans and groans when I cut my hair off, she liked it when I grew it long enough to pull back. I like not having to worry about it. I'll have to send you an e-mail this week about yarn shop gossip.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

HI VAL!!! Thank you for coming over today! DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR????? I get like that too. I try to let it grow long but I cannot handle the work anymore, being a busy teacher and all...plus, I think at my age, short hair suits me best. But when we get those urges, it MUST BE DONE!

You have beautiful curls that would look wonderful with short hair!

THANK AGAIN FOR COMING BY; do come again! Anita

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

You have amazing hair! ITs so curly! Bet you can just wash and go.
xx
julie
ps love that song too

liz said...

I love your hair!

Val said...

Thank you all. :)

The Favorite Things Guy said...

You and Mr. Mike are rockin' it, as always!

Val said...

:) J.E.

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

I love that song! Your hair is adorable! I've been wanting to cut mine too, but will have to wait till next year.

So sorry you had a bad day in the other post, with Stuffed in the cage. Perhaps you just needed a good cry.
Love hearing your excitement about having a freezer and a light in the oven, lol... I feel ya.. our light is out!

Val said...

Thank you, Nikki. :)