Tuesday, May 8, 2012

35th Birthday Rainbow Cake

After returning from my parents' yesterday afternoon--where we did not take family photos at midnight, thank you :)--I raced around creating my birthday cake for me and Mike. I'd wanted to make a rainbow cake for awhile, and yesterday was the day: Six layers of white-cake-turned-colorful with homemade pink buttercream frosting in between and on top. I used the "Congratulations, it's a girl" button my parents had been given by the hospital the day I was born and also my long-saved "Valerie" heart magnet from my aunt Laurie, both wrapped in plastic wrap, as cake toppers along with rainbow sprinkles and 35-plus-1-to-grow-on candles. Baking the six layers in yesterday's heat and humidity wasn't the most fun I'd ever had, especially after waking up at 5 a.m. and being on a bus all morning, but it was worth it. I wanted my 35th birthday cake to reflect what I want to put into and get out of this next year of my life: Boldness, creativity, joy, and love. 
Methinks you have to know how long you'll live before you can state when you've reached the halfway point, but I think that by most definitions, I'm now considered middle-aged. I love it. May this next year be filled with love and learning and laughter and light. And may I never stop looking for rainbows. 

15 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Happy 35th birthday Val. May your life always be filled with rainbows, love, light and laughter.

Your cake was really pretty. You did a great job.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, FlowerLady! Blessings back to you. ♥♥

kent said...

I really need a reminder for birthdays. Your cake is amazing! I'm sure it took a long while to make and assemble, but what a great result. I'm glad you were able to spend some time with loved ones on your special day. Cheers!

Val said...

Thank you, Kent. :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Methinks, Miss V, you are one wise woman!
Birthday blessings; now and always you'll be remembered and tucked into prayer on your birthday.
I will never forget.

Val said...

Thank you, Sandra. Love and prayers are the best gifts always. You're in mine too. xo♥

Cindy said...

What a bright and happy birthday cake!!
Love it!
You know I never thought about your name being Valerie...my favorite song we use to sing in school was was Valeri...Valera...Valeri...Valer..ahahahah...it always made me giggle.
Happy Birthday sweet friend.

Hugs and giggles..Cindy

DreamgirlLisa said...

Looks great Val! Happy Birthday!

DreamgirlLisa said...

Looks great Val! Happy Birthday!

J.E. BOLTON said...

That is so awesome!

Nellie said...

Lovely cake, Val! Happy birthday! Funny how we look at age. I just celebrated my 72nd birthday, and I am just now considering myself "middle-aged.":)

xoxo Nellie

Paula said...

Hello sweet Val! I am so impressed with your beautiful birthday cake! You did a fantastic job sweetie and I love what it represents! I enjoyed your wonderful words so much! I am 42 and still feel so young. Life is a precious gift from God and I look forward to each birthday! I am so glad you are happy and I pray for you to have many more happy birthdays filled with love, joy, blessings, inspiration and all good things that you deserve! Sending you lots of love and hugs sweetie! Much love, Paula xoxo

asmplelife said...

I think that is the prettiest birthday cake EVER! Great job...it looks marvelous :-) Hope you and Mike had a wonderful birthday celebration.

Val said...

Thank you all. :)

And J.E. and Lisa, it's been SO long. 'Great to see you two again. :)

C'est moi Claudette said...

Happy birthday from NC. I'm still here.
Your mom is funny Val. Of course she needs pics of your 35th birthday. she's your mama : )
Happiness to you always.
PS it was an emotional mothers day yesterday, but I'm here with my 2nd mom and good friend Jeanne.
xoxoxox