Wednesday, May 7, 2014

3 Good Meals and 8 Miles a Day: 37

Spring arrived with better health and a renewed commitment to it.  Two months later, I've lost eight pounds and have only forgotten my daily vitamin twice.  My breakfasts have become a routine of oatmeal, yogurt, and berries.  My tax refund bought me two new pairs of walking shoes, one for my "real" walks and one for my walks to/from work.  I have been keeping up with both my journal and my food/health diary.  (The food/health diary usually falls by the wayside.)  Heart-healthy raspberries, dark chocolate, oatmeal, and red grapes are now weekly purchases.  (I know red wine is good for the heart, but I've never liked the taste of alcohol, so I will stick with heart-friendly groceries instead.)  I realized the local marathon will fall exactly on my 40th birthday in May 2017--the city holds it on the first Sunday in May every year, and in 2017, that will be May 7th--and have decided to dedicate these last three years of my 30s to training for it:  I have enough time to get back into shape and to become a long-distance runner, and after having already suffered-though/completed two half marathons on no training, I have faith that with proper preparation, I can finish a full.  Walking in the meantime, then, and running again by year's end, I'm thinking.  More water and tea.  My beloved Diet Cherry Pepsi as a treat and not an almost-staple.  Talking things out with Mom and Aunt Laurie instead of keeping my thoughts bottled-up.  Making the time to write.  'Am now a third of the way through my first effort at a children's book.  Today's birthday cake was a single-serving dark chocolate one with cream cheese frosting and more dark chocolate chips, based loosely on this recipe.  (Mike enjoyed a slice of cheesecake and some cookie dough ice cream.)  Tonight was Taco Night.  It included an ice-cold  Diet Cherry Pepsi.  This past week has been filled with visits and messages from family and friends.  Life is quiet and sweet and good. 
When I made a second trip to the grocery store this afternoon to pick up my forgotten-this-morning birthday candles, the cashier ringing me up asked who was turning 73.  "It's 37," I said.  "They're for me."  The cashier and bagger both goggled at me and said in unison, "You're 37?!"  The cashier said I don't look it and that she'd have guessed  25.  THANK you!  The bagger said something like, "You wear it well."  And thank YOU, young man!  The cashier then started singing "Happy Birthday" to me, and she and Young Bagger Boy both wished me a happy birthday.  This was undoubtedly one of 2014's sweetest epsiodes.    A friend told me in 2003 that I look young but wouldn't appreciate it until I was 40, and today, at 37, I know that he was right.  As ever, aging fascinates and amuses me.  I feel quite blessed by the entire process. 
The green Holly Hobbie birthday tablecloth is actually a section of vintage fabric I'd set aside to finish the side of the wing chair with, and onto the chair it will soon go, but it only seemed fitting to use it first as a tablecloth today and infuse it with this happy time and all these sweet memories.  Oh, 37!  I am loving it so much already. 

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Happy 37th dear Val. It looks like your year is off to a good start and I wish you well with training for the race in 2017.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Happy EVERYTHING!

Always..you are my youngest daughters' age..I told you that though:)

Love the vintage HH:)

Nellie said...

I've missed you, Val! Happy birthday to you! That is a very tasty cake! Great progress in that race training! We always love to see a downward movement in the scale, too.:) xo Nellie

Teresa Schubert said...

Hi Val,
Happy Birthday!! So glad you are doing well and feeling healthy.
I just had my 50th birthday the 6th of this month, wow time fly's!
I'm sure with all this training you will indeed be able to run your full marathon, keep up the good work:)
Teresa
sugar,spice and whatever's nice

Sandra Bennett said...

Happy Birthday, Val; may you celebrate many more in good health.

Carol said...

Happy birthday, Val!!! Many happy returns and good luck with your training. I know you will finish this race, I have faith!

Rev. Jim said...

I'm glad I finally found enough time to read this! I hope you got my email at the 1st of the month, wishing you a happy birthday! This sounds like a wonderful goal for you to achieve! This year I will be turning almost 30 years more than you! So, I won't be attempting a marathon! :) I hope you've been able to read posts on my blog site along the way. God bless you! :)

Rev. Jim said...

I'm glad I finally found enough time to read this! I hope you got my email at the 1st of the month, wishing you a happy birthday! This sounds like a wonderful goal for you to achieve! This year I will be turning almost 30 years more than you! So, I won't be attempting a marathon! :) I hope you've been able to read posts on my blog site along the way. God bless you! :)

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Val!! You're on the right track - I hope you can meet your goals. (Sounds like you go to a nice grocery store.)

Val said...

Thank you all very much. ♥