Thursday, June 23, 2016

On First Runs and Feta Hearts

It was 2010 or maybe early 2011 the last time I found myself following the "Couch to 5k" learn-to-run-3-miles-in-9-weeks training plan.  Heeeeeeeere we are again, having just come in from a rain-soaked Day 1.  All my walking has not made my running any easier, and the many pounds I've gained since the last time running felt even remotely easy made me wonder if I was actually dragging bags of flour along with me with every step today.  Bah!  BAH! to how hard this is!  BAH! to this monkey--or bag of flour--on my back!  BAH!  But no one is making me do this, and I have big goals, and God knows I am too stubborn to give up, so indeed, here we are again.  The last time I used this training plan--and this is maybe the fourth time I've done it now (so ridiculous, but credit-to-self for persistence [Positive self-talk!])--I finished the second day of Week 5 and then stopped.  I don't even remember why, but I stopped that close to the end.  This time, with bigger goals in mind, I am beyond determined to finish this.  Bag-o-flour, be gone!  Day 2 will be Saturday, and I will finish Week 1 of 9 early Monday morning.  Val, Val, Val.  

This feta cheese heart crumble greeted me in my vegetable pasta lunch at work yesterday, and I will take it as encouragement for the journey. 

6 comments:

Lisa said...

There you go, Val! xo Good luck!

Blondie's Journal said...

You will rock it!

Jane

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa and Jane. :) The journey of a thousand miles, and all that. :)

La Table De Nana said...


I think it has to be..an epiphany moment..Was it Oprah that said that?
Like anything..and it's hard..I know..and good for you.
I can't run for beans;)

racheld said...

See Mine. It loves to imagine you as you run, work, labor, run, then Take Flight!

Pretend it's bread crumbs, scattering a path behind you in the Dark Forest. And your step lightens as it leads you home.

rachel

Val said...

Thank you all. Today was the second run, and it actually felt a bit easier, although it was 70-degrees-that-felt-like-80 even at 8:30 this morning. Week 2 of 9 begins Wednesday. :)