Saturday, June 25, 2016

Together

This dear card--with its printed message inside of "Life's a journey.  'Glad we're in it together!"--will soon be sent to Aunt Laurie.  While I was finishing my last post, Mom called to tell me that my aunt was in the hospital with sepsis that had spread throughout her body, and even late that night when Mom called back to update me, Aunt Laurie's blood pressure was still only 80 over 40.  Terror.  I spent Thursday and most of yesterday dreading Mom's next phone call, choking up as I mailed another card to my sweet aunt from the post office yesterday afternoon, praying for more years and decades more with my faithful pen pal of an aunt.  

When I talked with Mom again last night, she said Aunt Laurie was doing much better and a Sunday hospital-discharge is even a possibility if she continues to improve this weekend.  Uncle Warren reported that when Aunt Laurie was at her sickest the other night, she said she could see angels standing around her hospital bed.   I don't know how close we just came to losing her, but I can imagine--all too vividly now--and it's been a few days that have felt like a hundred.  

Before she got sick, Aunt Laurie had been planning to visit in July, and I pray we can all make it happen still, although I'll likely be blubbering all over her as we hug hello.  Goodness, this life.   

14 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Oh I know how much you love her!!♥
Hope she just gets better and better and you visit in July..

Anonymous said...

Don't know if this will get through....your aunt is so beautiful and it seems you are very close to her...I wish you all the best and hope that she will soon feel better...db

Val said...

Thank you both. ♥

db, I think I owe you an email. :) I read yours in the midst of all this and haven't written back yet. Thank you so much for all your kind words. ♥ And happy to meet you. :)

Anonymous said...

No worries...just tend to yourself and family...what a special treat to hear from you!!! Sending warm thoughts to you and yours....

Lisa said...

And I owe you an email, Val! But your dear aunt - what a scare! I'm glad she's getting better. I pray she improves quickly.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dearest Val ~ I am so glad to read that your precious Aunt is doing better. I know that you two are really close. What a scare! But, how neat that she saw angels all around her bed. That must have been comforting to her.

Love, hugs & prayers for a speedy recovery for her, and for all of you ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, db, Lisa, and Lorraine. And yes, I'm hoping to hear from her that the angels were protecting her. All I could [somewhat morbidly] think was, It's not her time, don't gather around her to take her with you! I am still shaken by it. One of my grandmothers--Aunt Laurie and my mom's mom--was seriously ill many years ago and "crossed over" but was told she needed to go back to care of the little boy. She told the voice she had no little boy--But she came to and soon learned she was pregnant--in her mid-forties--with the boy who would become my uncle Cory. So much wonder. ♥

Val said...

P.S.) 'Am hoping to hear from Mom tonight that Aunt Laurie's been discharged--But even if still in the hospital, hopefully, she's doing even better now.

Val said...

She's home! ♥

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for all of your family...db

Val said...

Thank you, db!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Val, thank you so much for all the meaningful comments you send me.
You are special
and loved....

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family...hope your aunt continues to be doing well in her recovery and that you'll be meeting in july. Just sending happy thoughts...db

Val said...

Thank you, Ernestine and db, for all the kind words. ♥