Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within: Strength, courage, dignity. ~ Ruby Lee

We are now two weeks into the start of my favorite four months of the year.  Glorious fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas preparations:  Love!  And today I am looking even farther ahead to May 2017, when--as I mentioned awhile back--the city's annual marathon will be held on my fortieth birthday.  I contacted the marathon officials this weekend to confirm the date, and yes, as I'd expected, 2017's race is slated for May 7th. What better way to mark such a milestone birthday!   Being able to finish the race would be a fine way to celebrate the good health I'm blessed to have and the dedication I'm hoping to have found in myself by then.  I haven't run at all since fall 2011, I think, and I've gained/lost some of/regained/gained even more/lost a good bit of the weight I put on during grad school, so it will be quite a challenge, but I haven't been able to shake the idea since it first occurred to me last year.   

For now, the plan remains to lose the rest of the weight needed to get back to where I was at my healthiest a few years ago--this morning's weigh-in shows I've now lost twenty-two pounds since rededicating myself to this earlier this summer, so I'm on track on that front--then slowly ease myself back into running, and eventually, really train to be able to handle so many miles.  It is still a vague plan, but seeing as how I'm only in the get-back-into-running-shape stage, I think vague is just fine at this point.  My aunt Jodie, Mom's youngest sister, started running in her thirties and is is now an avid marathoner at forty-six.  Obviously, people accomplish these things--and why shouldn't I be one of those people.  :)  

10 comments:

donna baker said...

Hurray for you Val. I have also struggled with weight my entire life and I am so proud of you. It is for life and unfair when friends can eat us under the table and stay thin as a whip. PS - 40? You are a baby. My forties were the best years of my life.

Val said...

Thank you, Donna. I've always loved growing older, so I have no issues with 40. 'Am so excited for that decade, and all the others that, hopefully, will follow.

And yes, O' to be one of those lucky people! Maybe in my next life. :)

La Table De Nana said...

Well hurray for you!
Me too struggle struggle till I was 17..that never leaves you..you stay aware forever.
I think the kids bullying hurt the most..and seeing how it made my mom sad..shame on you girls of way back then..and boys..of course.

Nellie said...

A very admirable goal you have set for yourself, Val! Sometimes I think we focus too much on this weight business. It is such a chore for me to keep myself within reasonable limits. xo Nellie

asmplelife said...

Why shouldn't you be one of those people?! Good for you, Val, and what an accomplishment to have lost twenty-plus pounds over the summer....not so easy to do - so you should be proud! Good luck training =)

Tina said...

What a great post, Val. Congrats on the weight loss and fitness plans.

Tina
aurathentic@gmail.com

Val said...

Thank you, Monique, Nellie, Cheryl, and Tina. :)

Elaine Foley said...

I admire your courage! I think that is a wonderful way to commemorate a milestone birthday. Congratulations on your weight loss as well.

Fall is my favorite time of year too. Can't wait to see our beautiful Autumn colors here in New England. I wouldn't mind some cooler temps too.

Lisa said...

Gosh, Val - it's amazing how you can lose so much weight in a couple of months! Good goin'. You are right about the inner beauty, of course.

Val said...

Thank you, Elaine and Lisa. :)