Saturday, September 19, 2015

On a Four-Heart Day Off

As I was sitting down on my lunch-break earlier today with my oatmeal, Honeycrisp apple, almonds, prunes, cinnamon- almond butter, and walnuts--apple slices spread with cinnamon-almond butter then dipped into crushed walnuts is my latest addition to my lunches:  They're like a taste of healthy apple pie, so good--a bit of almond butter on my napkin appeared in the shape of a heart.  Maybe it is silly how much these found hearts delight me, but how could I not be charmed!  "There are only two ways to live your life," Einstein reminds us.  "One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Indeed.  Each heart finds me saying, "Ah!  Hello, God!" and in this case:  "Thank You for the moment, thank You for this food, thank You that I have a job at all, thank You that it's a job that offers work I love and health insurance and good people, and thank You that I'm off the next few days."  It was a draining work-week, and the tiny almond butter heart reminded me to take a deep breath and regroup. 
As I finally reached my apartment building after work:  A heart on the front stoop's cement. 
Another heart, this one a bit of paper resting on the stairs' carpet, seconds later as I climbed the three flights up to my door. 
And then, in my kitchen, a heart-shaped raspberry.    And so began my desperately-needed stretch of days off today.  Truly, how could I not be (grateful and) charmed?!  

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Your eyes and your heart are open, Val. ! xoxo

Val said...

:)

Marie Rayner said...

How lovely! Obviously love follows you around! I will have to try your apple slice idea! xoxo

Val said...

The apples are so good, Marie. 'A little extra protein for me with the almond butter, and it jazzes up the apples a bit. Some people dip the slices into mini chocolate chips or coconut flakes or granola--so many possibilities--but I don't eat sugar very often anymore, so I've just used the almond butter with more nuts.

La Table De Nana said...

Val said...

:)

asmplelife said...

Found hearts are the best...finding love all over the place! And I {love} your apple slice snack. I'll be trying that one! =)

The Favorite Things Guy said...

Love it! Keep being awesome, Val. :)

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl and Jason.

Carola Bartz said...

I love where you find hearts everywhere!!!

Val said...

So do I, Carola. It truly enchants me. :)