Friday, October 9, 2015

You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be. ~ David Viscott

The past two weeks have been wearying, and aside from a Saturday when a combined headache, kink in my neck, and day without sleep found me waving the white flag from my bed, I have plodded on and even have some good things to show for it.  The bathroom has been put back together post-painting, with new shower curtain and curtains too.  The bedroom wall-painting is almost done.  The headboard project is at least begun, with stars, string lights, and waiting-for-payday pillow shams next on its to-do list.  The bedroom curtains are up but lacking their ruffle-trim, tie-backs, and the hankie-patchwork-type sheers I'm planning to hang underneath them.  The 1980s childhood memoir-writing continues. The healthy eating continues.  It feels, though, like I've just been hanging on and getting through this fall so far.  Do you remember the brilliant exchange between the frustrated sheriff and his secretary in Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men?  It keeps coming to mind this month.  "What is it that (Justice) Torbert says?"  he asks her.  "About truth and justice."  She distractedly answers, "We dedicate ourselves anew daily.    Somethin like that."  The sheriff responds, "I think I'm goin to commence to dedicatin myself twice daily.  It may come to three fore it's over."  Hear, hear.  I brought in Halloween cookies for my coworkers this week, and the cashier yesterday morning told me "I love your smile" while bagging my groceries, and I'm choosing to accept both gestures as signs that hope is not lost.  :)  Here's to the plodding-on.  

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Hang onto that:"I love your smile"♥
Tight..hang on tight and revel in that.

Love the floral painting on the green wall:)

Aww..SShortcake..we sure had a lot of SS stuff around our home at one point;)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your bedroom is so cheery, colorful and so you, dear Val. I love the rose painting and the quilt on your bed.

Your lovely smile gives hope to others.

Love & hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

Darcie said...

Val,

Thank you for your comment that you left on my blog awhile back. Finally getting over here to thank you! Sorry for what your husband went through as well. :-( I would love to follow along on your blog, but perhaps I am not seeing a follow widget? Would love to get to know you better. I see we have the dear Flowerlady in common. ;-) Love her! :-)

Lisa said...

Val, I don't know how you do it, but God bless you! You're doing great! And when you are dragging, at least when you've got something to show for it - that's everything!

Donna said...

Val, I love all of your photos, your bed quilt, and your kitty! I want to thank you for visiting and leaving such a sweet comment about our Tiger girl. I hope you have a wonderful weekend,
Donna

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Val, sometimes it's all we can do just keep hanging on and plodding forward. That's where faith comes in. I believe that Grace is not so much what we find at the end of the tunnel, but what gets us through the tunnel. Healthy eating continues here also. It is definitely a challenge and there are days I just want to plunge my face into a nice big lemon meringue pie, it I stay strong becUse I know it is for my own good. No more licking spoons for new! You do have such a beautiful smile. It radiates through your whole being! If you could bottle it you'd be a millionaire! Love your bright colourful home and your sweet kitty. You are very blessed in all the things which count. Love and hugs. Xoxo

Val said...

Thank you all so much. ♥ And Darcie, I will email you. Thank you.