Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Bathroom-Painting Begins

Yesterday afternoon was entirely too humid a day to begin this project, but I wanted to take advantage of my day off by at least starting it.  Off and on for about four hours--breaking only for iced tea, lemonade, a chocolate brownie (thank you, Mom), and a zucchini-Parmesan omelet (thank you, Dad)--I finished most of the first coat.  This shade is "Rally Green" by Sherwin Williams, and even after so much painting, I'm finding it hard to describe to my mom.  "Kind of a springy green with some aqua in it?  More vivid or a deeper shade than old jadeite dishes, but kind of like that?!"  Then the light changes, and the color above becomes more like this,
and what I had almost wanted to describe as looking tropical now seems more workaday vintage green.  I like the color, in any case, and am about to begin round two of the painting.  I'm still so surprised that our apartment's building manager has given us permission to paint at all, I almost couldn't help but be delighted to see just about any color on the walls.  :)  I actually love the whole barely-there shades of white and pink and pale-pastels-in-general in shabby chic decorating and did my bedroom in my first all-to-myself apartment in 2002 in the softest pink, and if we had more room here, I'd likely decorate a guest room or something that way again.  For now, though, and in the little space we have--our entire apartment is only 542 square feet--I like the rainbow of bolder colors we have here.  More iced tea, then, and back to my springy/tropical/ jadeite/etc.-covered paintbrush. 

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This color suits you and your style. You do a good job 'cutting in' too.

Happy painting ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine. One top corner is going to be quite tricky, and I'm not sure how I'm going to reach it to finish the cutting-in--I can't get a ladder, step-stool, or chair into the spot because that's the corner the toilet is in and there's no floor-space for anything else--but so far, so good with the rest. There's obviously a way to do it, since it was painted before. Maybe Mike'll have to do that spot. He's a foot taller than I am, so he may be able to reach it even without moving a ladder closer. Anyway, thank you. :) It's a pretty color.

La Table De Nana said...


I am happy for you and your project.
It will make you happy:) Well you are happy..I just mean..happier;)

Lisa said...

Very exciting for you! Nice of your landlord, too.

Marie Rayner said...

We have a landlord who will let us do about anything to our place also, within reason. What a cheerful,shade of green! Xoxo

Val said...

Monique, Lisa, and Marie: Thank you, and yes, it's making me happier--color always does--and yes, so nice to be allowed to do it. We've been here longer than all but two other tenants in this building, and he knows we've already signed on for another year, so I think that finally swayed him. :) I should be all done in the bathroom by Sunday, and then it's on to the bedroom.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Rainey is right...very nicely done; glad the manager allowed you to paint. so often they don't. I do adore that black and white tile...

Val said...

Thank you, Sandra. The bedroom is next this week. :)