Sunday, July 19, 2015

First Game at Yankee Stadium

Mike and I took a bus to Yankee Stadium this weekend, Mike's first time in New York and my first visit to the Bronx.  The Yankees are Mike's and his dad's team, and since my mom is from New York, more than a few people in my family are Yankees fans, so it was especially sweet to see the stadium finally.  I thought the six-hour bus trip would find me and Mike featured in a "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" magazine column, but we experienced both the travel and the heat-index-of-103°-temperature and lived to tell the tale. 
Mom made up a gift basket and this cute Snoopy card for us and arranged to have it waiting in our hotel room.  The card was one of the first things Mike unpacked when we got home this afternoon.  :)
 We got to visit with both my parents this weekend, as well, so it was a sweet weekend all-around, with Dad loading up our rental car with vegetables from his garden before we got back on the road. 
Mike got to see Alex Rodriguez warming up for the game.  This was the only player we saw signing autographs for the kids before the game too. 
In my favorite photo from the game, Yankee Stadium's rooftop lights and flags are reflected in Mike's sunglasses.  A happy accident.  This trip was both our vacation-ish thing this summer and my birthday present for him, so to look at our pictures later and see Yankee Stadium in his eyes was great fun. 
And as a final sweet post-game surprise, we discovered while looking up video online of one of the game's home runs that we can be seen in one of the crowd shots that aired on TV after the game, since a guy sitting in front of us caught the ball.  'Not bad for our first visit to the stadium.  :)
And another two days off before I have to go back to work.  'A most refreshing and much-needed break.  Next on this summer's to-do list is painting the bathroom and bedroom.  Yes, the building manager gave me permission to paint!  Onward and upward.  :)

7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Hurray for you having such a GREAT time. I love the photo with the reflection in Mike's sunglasses. Terrific!

Have fun painting. Paint can make a huge difference in how our spaces look.

FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Very nice you got away!
How nice is your mom?:)
And dad w/ the veggies:)

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Looks like a great getaway with plenty to do and lots of fun! The pictures are great. Painting can be tedious, but i know you will love the outcome. Take care.

Lisa said...

What a thrill for Mike - never been to New York!! The photo of the reflection in the sunglasses is great. And to have someone catch a ball right near you - good memories for him. (now, that's all a Red Sox fan can be expected to say) :D

Val said...

Lorraine, Monique, Linda, and Lisa: Thank you. :) I was happy with all the photos. There are a bunch more, but those were my favorites.

Lisa: HA! from a Red Sox fan. . .Yes, I know. :)

And I started painting the bathroom today and love the color. 'Am just exhausted. 'Too hot and humid of a day to start this project, but I was eager to begin.

asmplelife said...

That photo of Mike's glasses and the reflection is fantastic! Although I'm not a Yankee fan, I certainly love baseball and appreciate every fan's enjoyment at being in their "home" stadium! Glad you had such a fun vacation =)

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl. :)