Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Day of Rest

 Finally, a day off after an aggravating work-week.  Strawberries and red grapes for breakfast.  A chicken Caesar salad for lunch.  I started Patti Smith's memoir, Just Kids, this afternoon.  Beautiful writing.  And a beautiful cat stretched out on my legs while I read.  Leftover chili for supper.  And now, a big bowl of popcorn on my afghan-covered lap while I return to my book.  Bliss!  One of my favorite professors in college always wrapped up his Friday afternoon classes by advising us to have either a productive or relaxing weekend, whichever it was that we most-needed.  I think of that advice on evenings like this, when I look back on my day and its hours of reading, cat-cuddling, and catching up while Mike reads in his own chair beside me. 

11 comments:

Lisa said...

I like your menu - and the "productive or relaxing" idea is perfect. Something good to remember!

Val said...

Yes, it was really quite wise. :)

La Table De Nana said...

I read today too!
My Paris Kitchen..
My friend read your Patti Smith book and really liked it.
I love reading..
It is so relaxing.
Glad you got a chance to do it..
Is your work stressful?

Val said...

I used to read The Paris Kitchen author's blog, Monique. I just added the book to my wish list. :)

And yes, my job is often draining, but I like it. And the harder days just make days off sweeter. :)

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful day.

Jane x

Val said...

Indeed. Thank you, Jane. ♥

Marie Rayner said...

You can't beat a relaxing weekend Val! I need to do this more often. xxoo

Nellie said...

I think a relaxing evening can also be productive! It's so necessary that we refresh our spirits! xo Nellie

Anonymous said...

That sounds so very nice, so peaceful. I hope it restores you and you have an easier week if possible.
Love,
Lily

joe said...

This post really made me hungry

Val said...

Thank you all. :)