Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Dream Braided Rug (or Bargaining FAIL)

Click to enlarge. 
While Mike watches football tonight, I've escaped to the bedroom to glue all the magazine clippings I've saved lately--mostly decorating ideas, some outfits, some quotes, a few recipes, some home/life tips--into my inspiration scrapbooks.  In tonight's pile of saved clippings is this page I printed and mailed to my mom in the summer of 2010.  I had found--well, seen--my dream rug on eBay and saved the seller's photos to show her.  If you click the above photo, you'll better understand my heartache at not being able to "Buy It Now" this rug.  Ah!  It is perfect for me--and a whopping 10' around so is the perfect size for under my table.    Mom had saved this page with some of her mail and gave it back to me when I was home in November.  Seeing the rug photos again makes me swoon, and rereading my note now makes me laugh. 
The eBay seller had listed a "Buy It Now" price of $850 plus shipping costs, but had set up the auction so it began at nothing and included the "Make me an offer" option.  I thought I would be crafty--I thought I actually had a SHOT at this gorgeous rug (poor naive little Val)--so I made an offer of forty dollars, thinking that the seller would say (s)he couldn't go lower than $250 or so, I'd make a counter-offer of $100, we'd settle on $150 or $200--prices that struck me as fair--and I'd ride off into the sunset on my magic rug.  I was already imagining the rug under my round gingham tablecloth-covered table,  Stuffed curled up in all his black and white glory on the colorful braids, patchwork cushions on the chairs, red Geraniums as a table centerpiece, and Holly Hobbie herself eating her heart out over this perfect, perfect rug.  On this wave of braided bliss, I confidently submitted my offer of $40.  The seller pulled my magic rug out from under me when (s)he wrote back, just seconds later, "I think you meant to add another zero to that."
My heart!  It's so silly--we're talking about a RUG, just a rug--but it still hurts.  The seller expected a STARTING offer of $400?!  Gah!  And why sellers don't just start the bidding at whatever they deem the lowest acceptable price to be instead of using the vague "Make-me-an-offer" tactic, I don't know.  I'd have never gotten my hopes up if I'd known the bidding was to start so high.  My heart, my heart!  I watched the eBay listing each day hoping that maybe the seller would lower the "Buy It Now" price or put it on sale at some point, since I couldn't imagine anyone would bid on this beautiful rug at those prices anyway, but--no.  Once when I checked it, the auction was updated as having sold--to a buyer who had simply bought it for the full "Buy It Now" price of $850 plus shipping.  And to think I had made a starting bid of $40!  Ha!  And moreover:  Someone out there has this sweet rug!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I hope it is well-loved and is admired every day, I hope there is a cat or dog cozily curled-up and napping on it right this minute, and I hope I myself find another just like it someday.  If I had enough space to work on one, I might, but I also wonder if, if I even had the work-space, by the time I'd buy enough materials to make a rug this size, if it wouldn't add up to a lot more than I'd want to spend on just one item anyway.  I don't know.  In the meantime, I keep the photos and my note in one of my inspiration scrapbooks and hope for "someday."  And I think:  Forty dollars!?!  HA!  Val, Val, Val.  :)

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Well, Val - not on ebay, but maybe in a thrift store someday, or at a tag sale. :)
You never know. (we've all seen Antiques Roadshow enough to believe it)

Val said...

I know, Lisa, that's what I keep holding on to, especially at the flea market. Someday!!

Susan said...

Hi Val, So glad you commented on my blog so I was able to find you! Loved your post. Keep picturing that rug under your table and I bet it tuns up, or one you like even more! I'm a big believer in manifesting what we want.

Marie Rayner said...

If you dream it, it can be yours. I believe that. Just keep imagining a rug like this under your table and one day your dream will come true. Love your mind. Love YOU!! You're so sweet. You remind me of a much younger me. xxoo

La Table De Nana said...

LOL..I had someone tell me something like that once..about the extra 0 and for the life of me I can't remember!
I have done that..pictured something in my mind so clearly..and it didn't happen..Stick to what Marie said:)
I know I will..
You do remind me of a Marie:)

Jill Cooper said...

Val it looks like that rug is made of cloth rather than wool. One inexpensive way to make them is to buy bedsheets at thrift stores, rip them into thin long pieces, wind them together into a ball, and then use them to braid. It's surprisingly easy and you can get some bright colored sheets sometimes that make beautiful rugs. Good luck and hope you get what you want one day!

joe said...

Beautiful but I bet it weighs a ton though

Val said...

Susan and Marie: I'll keep dreaming, rest assured. I look for it all the time.

Monique: "Add another zero" just makes me laugh now. My mom and I say it sometimes. It's not as embarrassing as just funny now. :)

Jill: Yes, thank you. :) If had the space here to work on it, I'd try it. I saved a magazine article on making braided rugs from bed sheets and have it in a scrapbook here. Maybe when I have room someday, but. . .one-room apartment in the meantime. :) Thank you. :)

Joe: I know. I have a few smaller braided rugs, and a couple of them had to be shipped. But for this one, it would be worth it. :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It is beautiful, Val. I wouldn't pay it but $800 isn't an outrageous price. I made one for my sister, a bit smaller, about 4 feet across and it took the better part of a year. Why don't you crochet your own rug? It would mean so much more to you and would be in the exact colors you want.

Rose Garden Romantic said...

So sad! I hate it when I have my heart set on something and I can't find it for an affordable price! Don't forget to keep your eye on Craigslist. You never know!

Val said...

Thank you, Sandra and Michelle. Someday, I will have photos of my grand find on my blog. :)