Friday, January 9, 2015

In-Bloom

The Hyacinth is almost in full-bloom now, exactly a week since I brought it home from the grocery store, and I keep thinking as I admire it--pausing for a long sniff of the flowers every time I walk past the mantel--that I should start giving out single bulbs in forcing vases as holiday gifts, as this has brightened the past week so much.  My older brother used to give pots of Amaryllis as Christmas presents.  Collecting the vases and selecting the bulbs would be a sweet little project this year. 

8 comments:

susan said...

What a great idea! I can imagine putting away the decorations and removing the tree and still having the beautiful hyacinth adding beauty to your surroundings in January. Maybe you can repost this next November as a reminder. Thanks for sharing.

The Favorite Things Guy said...

Awesome, as always, Val. 😊

Nellie said...

This sounds like a perfect idea! I believe the greatest pleasure I saw on a gift recipient's face was when I gave a vase and bulbs for spring flowers! She was absolutely thrilled! xo Nellie

La Table De Nana said...

It never looks like much..unless you have done this and known the feeling..
Then you think I want everone to feel this and start thinking of them as gifts.
It's an experience..a feeling a joy you are giving..We know right Val?:)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

bet it smells wonderful!

Val said...

Susan, Jason (great to see you again!), Nellie, Monique, and Sandra: Thank you so much. It does smell wonderful, and Monique, that's just it--You want to give everyone the experience. ♥

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love the scent
and what a wonderful idea.
Next year
I might borrow.
Thank you always for your kind words on my journal...

Val said...