Thursday, December 4, 2008

Keep your faith in all beautiful things; in the sun when it is hidden, in the Spring when it is gone. ~ Roy R. Gilson

Today was one of those days, and there have been a few of "those days" this week. I have tomorrow off and began my time away from the working world this afternoon by climbing into the tub with a hot chocolate--extra dashes of vanilla and cinnamon, thank you very much--and a book of Jane Austen's major novels. 

I have been reading Sense and Sensibility nightly before bed the past few weeks and am now about seventy pages from the end. I've read Jane Austen before but couldn't really get into her writing at the time and don't even remember which of her major novels it was that I read. So now, probably at least ten years later, I'm reading Miss Jane again. One of my former English professors used to say that you haven't really read a book until you've read it twice, and I agree.  I'm in the habit of starting back at page one after finishing my first read of something, Dr. D would be happy to hear. 

In any case, it was hot chocolate and Jane for me this afternoon, and on an otherwise gloomy thirty-degree day, the sun came out while I was in the tub and filled the bathroom with a beautiful buttery light for awhile. While my mood has not improved a grand amount , I do feel more rested and much more peaceful, so thank goodness, as always, for long hot baths and good books. And now, back to Elinore and her awkward conversation with Lucy and Edward. 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I enjoyed reading a few of your blogs. Congratulations on your weight loss success. I too struggle w/ weight issues. At one time, just at the start of the end of my marriage, I lost over 80 pounds. Unfortunately over the course of the past two or three years, I have gained most of it back. I am lookinf for the inspiriation to lose it again, and keep it off (the hardest part). I'm sure you know how I feel when I say that I felt so much better in those days, healthier and most importatly, my self-esteem was so high.

:: wee bird :: said...

the great Jane Austen! I asked for all of the additions for Xmas this year so I can start the New Year off very well :D I've never read any of her books so I am really looking forward to it.
great blog you have :D
~Sue from wee Bird

Val said...

Hi, Lisa and Sue. 'So happy to see comments from you both here. :)

Lisa: All I can say after all the ups and downs of my weight loss journey is that it only takes one good day--and for me that means eating right, watching calories, and getting my walk in--for me to feel like I'm back on track. So maybe if you can get through one day on track, it can become two, and then you'll feel successful enough to stick with it again. I don't know. It's such a personal thing for everyone. But I wish you all the best and will be interested in how you're succeeding, as well. :)

Sue: Thank you, and I hope you enjoy your Christmas books. :) I refused to watch any of the film versions until after I'd read the novels, so the Jane Austen Film Fest will be a future treat for me. :)