Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February

"Did you know," inquires my dad in his last letter, "that ice-chipping is much worse than snow-shoveling?  Well, it is.  75 lures later, I still have three weeks to kill before March 1st--my sanity cut-off date.  Pitchers and catchers report coming soon.  Cardinals are singing.  I'll cling to any ray of hope. "  Indeed.  I wasn't minding winter until this past week but now feel like I've gotten the gist--If I were in Boston, I'd say I've more than gotten the gist.  We got hit by our own three-feet-of-snow blizzard here in February 2010, so I empathize--and am ready to move on to spring.  This photo. . .after a mile-and-a-half walk a few days ago. 'Have been in a rotten mood all week, and it's not like me to be in one for this many days.  I blame the wind, the slippery sidewalks, everyday life nonsense in general, phantom wisdom tooth pain--they were removed thirteen years ago, but now and then, the site of one missing tooth starts aching--and lack of enough real walks.  Blehhh!  I echo Mom's postscript-drawing in Dad's letter below. 
My younger brother turns thirty-three today.  It is my father-in-law's birthday too.  And by Saturday, a small package containing chocolate-marshmallow hearts for my niece and my nephew and a copy of this sweet book will reach my niece Alyssa--of bat-and-cat-drawing fame--who turns eight this weekend.  Both my grandmothers, Mike's niece, a great-aunt, and my older brother have all had birthdays this month too, and each circled cake-and-ice-cream date on the calendar is a bright spot in this otherwise dreary month.  And thank God for that. 

4 comments:

Nellie said...

Sending birthday greetings to all the special birthday people! Old Man Winter is certainly making a statement! Stay safe, and keep warm! xo Nellie

Barb Cowles said...

Hi Val,
I love the picture of you on your winter walk. You look so rosy and bright-eyed. How is Stuffed doing?
Barb

Anonymous said...

Come on Spring! Hang on, Val. I know how long a hard winter can feel but spring will be there soon.

Maybe you need some more forced bulbs! Yes?

Sending Love and Warmth to you,
Lily

Val said...

Nellie, Barb, and Lily: A belated thank you. ♥ And Stuffed is fine, thank you, Barb. 'Currently curled into a ball on the floor by the radiator, looking as cute as all get-out, as always.