Monday, December 29, 2014

Fishmas

One of my dad's retirement hobbies has become making fishing lures.  While I was home, he showed me the lure-making studio he'd arranged in his basement den, and it was an impressive little set-up:  An easel with clamps at his desk to hold the lures in-place while he paints them, cabinets to store the eyes, loops, and hooks; a special lamp to make seeing the detailed work easier on his eyes.  While I was wrapping presents in the dining room one afternoon, Dad appeared with the whittled wooden fish pictured above in one hand and said I could have this prototype--as an ornament or good luck charm.  I will be keeping it out year-round, of course. 
Knowing of his new hobby, I had brought home with me a fish-related ornament for him too (along with some paints ordered from a lure-making supply catalog and some paintbrushes as part of his actual gift), although my fish was one I'd made from a sawed-off wooden spoon end.  He added it to his and Mom's Christmas tree right away, just as I did with mine from him as soon as I returned here.  :)
He also showed me his first finished lure.  "The painting's a little messy," he said modestly.  "This is just the first one, and I hurried to finish it so you could see one while you're still home. . . ."  I am most-impressed.  I told him that and also told him that it's so neat to me that he's learned how to make these.  "Just think:  A few months ago, you didn't know how to do this, and now look--You've made your own fishing lures!  That's so cool!"  He laughed and said, "Well, I learned from a book--I didn't just suddenly know how to make them."  That's just it, though, I went on:  He wanted to learn how to make fishing lures, so he set off to learn, he ordered a book and supplies, he spent hours at his desk whittling wooden dowels and attaching parts and painting--compare my prototype ornament to the first finished one!--and now, he can say that this is something he knows how to do.  The entire process has fascinated me.  Dad listened, laughed his modest Dad-laugh again, mumbled something about it not being that hard, held up the lure so I could take a picture after I asked, and returned to his basement studio to make some more. 

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

God bless your Dad's heart and hands. I think his first lure is really neat. He will only get better. We are never too old to learn new things, and learning keeps us young.

I think you did good with your fish ornament too.

Love and hugs to you and your family ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine. Your comments are so dear to me.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

OH how I miss my Dad after reading this. In his retirement he taught himself to tie flys and did just what your Dad did, got some books, set up a little area to work...he found such joy in such a simple hobby. How blessed you are to still have your folks.
Bless his sweet heart also.. Happy New Year to you and those dear to you <3

Marie Rayner said...

Oh how very wonderful that you shared this with us. Our dads are just so special aren't they? I love mine to pieces and I can tell you do too! Love, LOVE your fish ornament! Happy 2015!! xoxo

Lisa said...

This is so cool! And wonderful that he has this interest. I love that lure - he could sell those babies. ;) Good goin', Dad. :)

Val said...

What sweet comments. Here's to good dads! Thank you all. ♥