Friday, December 26, 2014

Aunt Laurie's Birthday

My dear Aunt Laurie's birthday is today.  The simple little package I mailed her this Monday reached her on Christmas Eve, and I've been happy this week as I imagine her opening her aqua tissue-papered gifts. I made the aqua gingham puffy heart ornament ornament above and was thrilled with how it turned out.  I had enough of that fabric left in my scrap bag and enough lace--just enough lace--to add the trim and to cut one small snowflake-shape from it. 
I wrote her a letter and had prints made of a bunch of recent photos so she would be caught up on things--"a visit in a box," I called it--wrapped those in tissue, sprinkled a package's worth of white peanut butter cups (since she and her family don't like chocolate [I can't imagine]) around it, framed a favorite photo of her and Mom in an aqua and turquoise floral frame I'm no longer using, and packed it into the bottom of the small aqua toy suitcase that this crochet kit came in when I received it last Christmas.  (I got nowhere learning from the kit, so I will have to take lessons somewhere.  And I'm glad to give the suitcase a new home.) 
I saw this vintage Christmas card online awhile back and saved the picture to the computer to make a 4" x 6" print of, and after I punched a hole into the top, that print became a gift tag I tied onto the suitcase's handle with curling ribbon.  The girl in the illustration reminds me so much of Aunt Laurie. 
With more curling ribbon, I tied the heart onto the suitcase handle too. 
And it has been sweet all week knowing that from a bag of candy, some reprints, and odds and ends around the apartment, I got a very Aunt Laurie-ish package together.  I hope she has had the happiest of birthdays. 

6 comments:

Nellie said...

Very thoughtful of you, Val! Aunt Laurie is sure to be pleased! xo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your dear Aunt Laurie is going to enjoy her gifts created with love, joy and thoughtfulness. You did a lovely job with it all Val.

Love & hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Super thoughtful and vintagey:)

Blondie's Journal said...

Handmade gifts are the best...this little beauty is precious. You have one lucky aunt! :)

Jane x

Marie Rayner said...

What a thoughtful gift Val! I am sure your Auntie loved it! xxoo

Val said...

Thank you all. :)