Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wing Chair in October

The wing chair project goes on and on.  The latest addition to it when I left off months ago was this section of leftover green floral trim from my wedding suit jacket.     (Yikes, my stitches look messy up-close.  We'll say that just adds to the chair's charm.  Goodness, though!  My mother would shake her head here and say, "Vally, really, it wouldn't take much to clean that up a bit. . . . "  It's FINE, Mom.  :)  )  The seamstress had extra trim after she'd finished alterations, so she gave that back to me with the suit.  I like how it looks on the chair, breaking up a couple of the straight lines of the patchwork squares. 
And now that I look at the picture below, I see that the patchwork could stand to be broken up by curves and frills a bit more, especially toward the bottom, so I will have to think about what other meaningful-to-me trims I've saved over the years.
 One step closer to a finished chair, though, and I'm still loving this project.  

 

10 comments:

Teresa Schubert said...

Val,
I think it's turning out to be quite lovely and meaningful too!
What a great Idea for using all your pretty fabric pieces. Your place is always so cheerful looking, sort of like a doll house and you know how much I love that!! Yes I do :-)
Teresa,
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Val said...

Thank you, Teresa--That's a sweet compliment for my home. :) ♥

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your wingback is sweet, colorful, happy and being made with lots of love. The trim is a nice addition.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Lisa said...

Yes, Teresa hit it - like a doll's house; cheery and inviting. Your chair is coming along nicely and I like the trims.

La Table De Nana said...

It really is coming along so sweetly..Love that chair!

Valerie Tan said...

You are so talented. Such a lovely chair, and made with love and memories.

Val said...

Thank you all. One of my friends described my parents' house as "like a doll house" while talking with my mom once, and ever since he said that, I've always thought that must be one of the sweetest compliments a house can receive, so thank you all so very much! :) ♥

Marie Rayner said...

What a treasure this chair is becoming Val. This will be your legacy! I adore it. xxoo

Chatelaine said...

Love the combination of colors. What patience creating this chair must take. It is turning out beautifully!

Val said...

Marie and Chatelaine, thank you. :) And it's taking as long as it's taking because the sewing grows frustrating to me so quickly! I try, and I enjoy it for awhile, but then I need to move on to other things until the urge strikes me again. It'll be done of these days, though.