Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Heart of Compromise

Mike and I have a tradition of going out to breakfast over the weekend, and I had promised yesterday that we would eat out today and that I'd accompany him on a few of his errands--comic book shop, library, coffee shop--as well. But I woke up this morning and felt so. . .just not quite ready for it to be morning, I told him I didn't want to go today, after all, and we could go tomorrow. I work tonight and wanted to stay in bed and "bank" some extra sleep to carry me through the wee hours of the morning at work. "Oh, we can go tomorrow, but will we?!" he grumbled. "Or will you be too tired then too?" No, I assured him, sliding back under the covers, adding "I promise." He pointed out that I had promised about today too, and ooh! We were off to the races! A short but spirited exchange followed, and as he walked out the door to go to breakfast by himself, he reached back into bed to touch my hand and said "I love you." I said I loved him too, but by the time I heard the final click of his keys as they locked our door, my eyes were full of tears. Because he was right. I had promised. And I wouldn't like it if he did the same to me.

We have so little time together with my new work schedule, every meal together has become so much more important to us. Except today, clearly, when I chose to stay in bed, right? And while thinking about that in the first few seconds after he walked out this morning, I knew I was too worked-up to be able to fall back to sleep anyway and that I'd soon be joining him in our booth at Eat'n Park. I raced around the apartment getting ready and had to run a little to make it to the corner where he stood still waiting for the bus. We enjoyed breakfast together as always, and while he went on to run his errands, I walked home to take a pre-work nap. A small compromise, but big enough, and our day together is ending more nicely than it started.

2 comments:

FlowerLady said...

Ahhh, I love a happy ending!

Life is short and it may be shorter than we think. We need to live everyday as if it could be our last.

Your compromise was good. Bless your hearts.

Every day is a day to choose to love, forgive, and nurture each other.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Hugs back, FlowerLady. And my parents married a year after you and your husband, so you all know what you're talking about, I'd say. :)