Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vally

Our door buzzer rang awhile ago, and I ran out to the porch to find a big box from my mom on top of our mailbox. Every autumn, Mom mails me and Mike a care package filled with silk leaves and mini pumpkins and gourds, things we can use for supper (this time, a vegetable soup starter and a cornbread mix), tuna (my favorite lunch), hot chocolate packets, bags of microwave popcorn, and peanut butter-filled candy for Mike. Today's had all the usual treats, plus a little cooking magazine and a pretty card and basket, but the highlight to me was what is in the picture above: On one of the magazine clipping pumpkin pictures she had taped around our mailing addresses on the top of the box, Mom had written "Vally." It is what she's always called me, and it makes me miss her today even more than I already do. It seems impossible, but I've only seen my family once so far this year--in May for my birthday--and that's just not enough. When I get this next month's work schedule, I'll have to figure out time to make a trip home. 

6 comments:

FlowerLady said...

You are so blessed in having a loving mother. I hope you get to see her soon.

FlowerLady

liz said...

Care packages!!! I hope you get to see her soon. Can you Skype?

Carol said...

Moms miss their girls, too. I certainly do!

Val said...

Thank you all. :) My parents have never used computers at all, Liz, so Skype's not an option. I'm going to try to get home later this month. 'Will have to see what my work schedule looks like in a few weeks.

Rose Garden Romantic said...

HI Val! I found your blog from your comment on mine. :) What a fun read your blog is! I miss my mama, too. I moved to Texas from CA 7 years ago and it's so hard to be so far from our families. (Hubby's family lives there, too.) My mama sends me packages, too! They also have candy and decorations for holidays included! Hope you get to visit your family soon.
Michelle

Val said...

Aww, thank you so much, Michelle. :) And that's funny about your similar care packages. :) Thank you for joining me here--I love your blog too. :)