Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One Fine Day

Today was my last day at my now-"old" job. At the end of my now-former workplace's daily staff meeting, the manager asked everyone, "Okay, anything else?" And a few people mentioned that it was my last day. The manager replied, "It is Val's last day. Great job, Val. Thank you for everything." And suddenly, everyone was clapping! Applauding me! It was such a sweet moment and so unexpected. I worked there two and a half years and saw so many people come and go but don't remember anyone else getting that simple recognition their last day on the job. As I told my managers when I stopped by their office suite to say goodbye a little while later, the applause was just the sweetest note to end on, and it meant so much to me. I choked up while saying as much, and then choked up again a few minutes later when I punched out for the very last time.

 And as I walked home, I sent Mr. Mike a text message letting him know I was done ("Done-done!"), and he, who had taken today as a vacation day so that we could go out and celebrate this milestone, wrote back "Yay!" and then surprised me by meeting me along my walk home. We took a picture together and went to lunch, and it was a wonderful meal and a great time.
Just knowing that this stage of my life is over and that I'm moving on finally. . . !   Thank You, thank You, thank You.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a cute sampler!
I hope your vacation time is going well.

xxoo
Kent

Val said...

Thank you, Kent. :)

katie jean said...

sounds like an amazing day! and mike sounds like the sweetest guy ever :)

Val said...

Thank you, katie jean. It was, and he is definitely good to me. Thank you for commenting. Blogger didn't let me post a response until now. I still need to send you the old pictures of my aunt too--You'll get a kick out of them. :)

Wren Cottage said...

Loved reading this Val, you are such a special person, I'm not surprised that you had so many wanting to wish you well and wanted to show their appreciation for you!! I am soooo HAPPY for you!!! You deserve all the best girlie! and the little sampler is so you, precious!
I wish you and Mike much, much happiness, you are a special couple and it's wonderful to have someone love... ALWAYS take care of each other!!!
love and hugs ~ Madai