Sunday, June 19, 2016

Snapshot

We have been passing Bill Bryson books back and forth the past six months, Dad and I.  It began with A Walk in the Woods:  Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, and then I gave him The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid for Christmas.  We continued with Neither Here Nor There:  Travels in Europe, and Dad just finished armchair-traveling via Bryson's memoir of a trek through Australia, In a Sunburned Country, one of his Father's Day presents from me this year.  A Short History of Nearly Everything is on a shelf here too, waiting for my next trip home.  We have both loved the Appalachian Trail book the best--neither of us wanted it to end--and agree that hiking it would be amazing if one could stay safe while doing so.  (I keep it as a "someday" goal, along with hiking the Camino de Santiago.)  Today Dad is alternately reading Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling:  More Notes from a Small Island, baseball game-watching, and barbecuing with my mom, brothers, and my brothers' wives and kids.  I myself hope to manage to get home both next month and in August for the next two meetings of the Dad-and-Daughter Book Club. 

5 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great picture of you and your Dad.

Happy Reading ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Sweet:) Myfriend was going to do The Compostelle walk..I had given her books on preparing for it etc..unfortuately something came up and shse didn't do it..I think she may still:)

Lisa said...

Wow, that's a big "goal" - to walk the old road to Santiago de Compostela! Anyway, I've been curious about Bill Bryson, and his new one about Little Dribbling looks good, but I think I want to read his other English one first - Notes From a Small Island. Too many books lately on my "to read" list!

So nice to read with someone and compare notes.

Blondie's Journal said...

This is so great. The walk and the relationships you have are wonderful. Be sure to post!

jane

Val said...

Thank you all, and yes, Lisa, I wish I'd read his England books in that order too. He sounds more than a little curmudgeonly in the Little Dribbling one, but it was quite interesting. Such history!