Sunday, January 24, 2016

Weekend Walks: 27 Pictures (or A Pig, a Snowman, a Shadow, Some Hearts. . . .)

That pig just spoke to me.  :)  Fourteen miles walked this weekend and so much beauty seen.  Sunsets this time of year are glorious.  Flowers are crisp and snow-capped and bent in the most striking postures.  Tree branches are black silhouettes against sun and sky.  Snow sparkles and icicles glow warm in the cold sunsets.  If fall walks are my favorites, winter walks are a close second.  While I was taking a picture outside  a local school Friday afternoon, a man sarcastically yelled across the street to me, "Nice weather for that, huh?!" and I called back, "It is, though!  It's so pretty!"  I couldn't help but laugh when he responded, "Yeah, if you're a polar bear!"  I like coming home to the warm apartment, yes, but truly, it is nice weather for this:  Walking with my camera forces me to focus on looking for the good and the beautiful, taking the time to look at--to really see--the good and beautiful, and saying thank You for the good and beautiful.  Anyone can see the beauty in spring or summer or autumn leaves, but to be able to enjoy the brilliance of winter is almost a skill that needs to be learned and relearned for most of us.  Walking in winter when--let's face it--I'd rather be curled up in a chair with a book stretches me in all senses of the word.  Ohh, this is just good for me, body and soul. 
The art on a local shop's side made me smileI'd walked past this flock of birds so many times before, but this weekend, against all the snow, it was such an appreciated burst of color.
This card was in a stationery store window.  I'll be going back to buy this one for my parents, who are suffering extreme cabin fever already this winter. 
Hearts appeared in the snow throughout the weekend.
The snowman below, with his eyes at his feet, made me laugh.  
The takeout bag below made me smile too, and its yellow face was a fun burst of color against the snow and pavement.  My personal walker-code dictates that if I take a picture of litter, I throw out the litter too, though, so this smiling face is now in a trash can. 
It was dark by the time I turned around and headed home this evening, and the streetlamps cast such a pretty light onto the sidewalks, as warm and soft as candle-glow. 
Enough light for even a somewhat murky shadow-picture, and I was soon setting my shoes onto newspaper to dry back inside the apartment.  Chili for supper and a night off-work tonight.  "Downton Abbey" tonight too, and a new book to begin.  And another walk tomorrow.  All kinds of winter bliss. 

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for taking us on this winter walk. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Your photos are wonderful!!!

Have a GREAT week ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

Your photos are getting better and better Miss V..:)Fun to walk w/ a camera..but alone..very few people love stopping every time we do..hahaha have you noticed?

Lisa said...

Such pretty pictures, Val! I like these walking posts.

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine, Monique, and Lisa. :)

CraveCute said...

Your photos are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your walk!

Val said...

Thank you, Diane. Walking with the camera is more fun than walking without it.