Sunday, July 12, 2015

Aunt Cathy

One of my friend Sommer's aunts died on Thursday, I learned Friday afternoon.  Aunt Cathy used to work at the little café inside our local Walmart store--back in the early 1990s when the hometown Walmart was not a "supercenter" and still had a tiny café near the entrance--and Sommer and I would always stop in to visit her while out running around in high school, gabbing with her between her serving other customers and really gabbing with her on slower evenings when she had more free time. The first of their family reunions that I went to, this sweet lady offered me a chair in her backyard and I sat down only to have it crash and splinter into pieces underneath me.  After various relatives helped me up off the ground, I don't know whom amongst all of us laughed the most.  Even though I had just met some of the family for the very first time, it was almost too funny to be embarrassing.  :)   When Sommer died during our last few months of high school, it was one of Cathy's daughters who was the first family member to come out to my parents' house the day it happened to talk with us, and it became my mom and I who would visit Cathy at Walmart, the three of us catching up on family news and helping each other through those horrible first weeks and months.  I last saw her in 2010--randomly bumping into her a hundred miles from her home, which made it even funnier and sweeter to us.  A huge hug, then, at our last meeting, and more laughter and family news shared before we parted.  My heart has been with her family this weekend, and I send them all so much love.  

5 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I am so sorry for your loss Val. Sending you extra love and hugs. I had to chuckle about your chair accident. I think all of us have had something similar happen to us and if we are lucky it has been amongst friends and loved ones. xoxo

Val said...

Thank you, Marie. The chair moment was SO funny. You're right: 'Much easier to laugh at these things amongst loved ones. :)

Lisa said...

Oh, my. But your memories are great ones - I can just imagine the atmosphere with you and Sommer visiting her in that place as clearly as I can imagine myself doing that. Sounds like such a nice woman.

La Table De Nana said...

Love your Sommer infused stories.
You have kept your ear friend alive..and look how many of us know her.
I think many of us have had flushed faced moments;) And still do.

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa and Monique. ♥