Thursday, June 4, 2015

Prayers for Stuffed

In one of the most boneheaded moments of my life, I cut Stuffed's side a few weeks ago while trimming off a matted piece of fur.  The wound seemed to be healing well but developed an abscess two nights ago, and it burst today.  I have been cleaning and bathing the wound all along and hadn't been as worried as I am now until reading things about abscesses/infections turning septic and leading to death.  Until today, Mike and I hadn't even realized it was an abscess--We'd been assuming it was just a blood blister forming near the original cut.   It has been a tear-filled day for me here after a few weeks of tears over this.  Throughout all of this, Stuffed has been eating, drinking, sleeping, and using the litter box normally--he never even seemed to realize that the cut had happened--but he has been keeping to himself on his window perch at night instead of joining us in bed, and he hasn't been playing with Mike the way he usually does.  A vet is visiting us tomorrow afternoon, and I'm praying she says that he's healing as well as we think he has been and that he just needs antibiotics now, post-abscess, to help him get back to normal.  This dear, sweet cat had never been sick or injured at all before I did this to him, and knowing that he's going through all of this now--when he's likely about sixteen years old--and because of me is a guilt and heartache I don't see myself getting over at any point.  If you're the praying kind, please pray for this gentle little soul.  I'm so incredibly sorry, and I just want him to be back to his normal self.  It has only been three months since Mike's dad died, and even though we keep trying to reassure each other that Stuffed really does seem fine and that cats get injuries and even abscesses and live to tell the tale, it's just too much stress right now.  I can't believe I caused all this, for any of us.  

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dearest Val ~ Accidents happen. Hopefully Stuffed is going to be ok, and will give you a few more normal cat years. He's already up there in his age. Whatever happens, be gentle on yourself. I am praying for Stuffed and you and Mike as well.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Lisa said...

Oh - certainly, Val - certainly!

Val said...

Thank you both. I'll update tomorrow after the vet's been here.

Lisa said...

I imagine she'll prescribe an antibiotic, and that will set him to rights. They're so much at our mercy, but we aren't perfect. They know we love them. If he's avoiding you, it must be simply because he doesn't feel well with the infection in his system. They don't hold grudges.

Marie Rayner said...

Praying for Stuffed Val, and for you. (((((hugs))))) xoxo

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa and Marie. ♥ The vet should be here soon. Stuffed's been more like his usual self ever since the abscess broke yesterday--meowing at Mike, sleeping in the bedroom (although not in the bed) last night, and interacting/cuddling more with us both--so I would guess he has to be feeling much better just since that's gone. Hopefully, the vet agrees with you, Lisa, and thinks he just needs some antibiotics to get back to full health. He seems much better this past 24 hours.

More soon.