Tuesday, February 18, 2014

In Love with a Tree

Saturday morning was a slushy mess here, but the sun was shining and I needed fresh air, so I walked around taking pictures for awhile.  I think trees are beautiful in every season but that they're best shown-off in winter--handsome women without any makeup on, nothing to hide.  Much of my first few visits with Mike here in 2007 was spent walking, and one of the beautiful things that kept grabbing my attention on our long treks all over the city was this tree.  After inquiring about it in an online forum back then, I was told it was the London Plane tree.  It is one of the things I most love seeing when I head outdoors here. 
The amazing jigsaw puzzle-ish camouflage bark is what caught my eye in 2007, enough that I mentioned it in a journal entry that summer. 
At the time, I jokingly called these "inflatable trees" and "papier-mâché trees."  Their bark and sometimes-saggy-looking trunks can make them look unreal, like hollow, painted stage props.   
From all I've read, it seems London Planes and American Sycamores are often confused.  The city has been working to save its old London Planes and has been planting a new-and-improved disease-resistant variety, as well.
Look at this incredible bark.
Just lovely. 
And majestic!  The height!  The strong curves of the trunk and branches! 
And well-worth the trudge through the snow. 

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I've always loved their bark..have not seen any here..I know it under a difefrent name..
Your pics are aristic!

Val said...

Thank you, Monique. :) It's so fun to have a camera now that takes good pictures outdoors.

Teresa Schubert said...

Val,
That tree is beautiful! Looks like the Sycamore tree I had in my yard in my previous home. I can see how people confuse them.
great pics!
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Nellie said...

Wonderful pictures, Val! When I hear of a sycamore tree, I'm reminded of the story of Zaccheus. xo Nellie

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie said...

Now THAT is a tree with character Val! Love it! I have always loved trees. It goes way back to my childhood. Loved climbing them, reading beneath them, playing around them, their bark, their leaves, everything about them. We had to memorize a poem at school by Joyce Kilmer about a tree. I can still remember it.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day, And lifts her leafy arms to pray; A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain; Who intimately lives with rain. Poems are made by fools like me, But only God can make a tree

Val said...

Thank you, Teresa, Nellie, and Marie. :)

Teresa, how wonderful to have had a similar tree in your own yard. Such beauty every day!

Nellie, I had to look up the story. I remembered someone climbing higher-up to see him, but not that it was a Sycamore.

And Marie, I had actually thought of that poem when choosing a title for this post. :)