Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Our Thanksgiving was lovely and sweet and laaaaaaidback.  I had worked the overnight shift the night before, picked up a few groceries after work Thursday morning, since I had decided at the last minute to treat Mike to baked spinach-artichoke dip in a bread bowl and didn't have the ingredients for it, called my parents around 9:00 am to wish them a happy Thanksgiving while the store-bought frozen pies were in the oven ("Vally!  Why aren't you in bed?!  I thought you'd be asleep by now!" cried out my mom, as if she's never had to stay up too late or get up extra early to prepare a holiday), and finally went to bed.  Since Mike didn't care when we ate, my vague plan was to have everything ready by 5:00 pm, so you can imagine my near-terror surprise when I later woke up alone in a dark bedroom unsure what day time it was.  It was 3:30 in the afternoon, Thanksgiving afternoon, it turned out--"'It's Christmas Day!' said Scrooge to himself.  'I haven't missed it!'"--and he had let me sleep so long, Mike explained, because it was obvious that I was tired and needed it.  Righto. 
The turkey he had started in the slow cooker a few hours earlier was already almost done--Bless!--and the pies had been cooling since morning, so it was just a matter of making the spinach dip and side dishes--green bean casserole, our mushroom stuffing (a recipe I'll share before Christmas, the next time we'll make it--it is heavenly), mashed potatoes and gravy, a few heat-and-serve rolls for Mike, and Marie's zucchini gratin (another dish I could eat every day).  Neither Mike nor I like sweet potatoes or corn or cranberry relish, but rest assured that if you were joining us for Thanksgiving, we'd make them to add some color to your meal.  :)  I enjoyed a breakfast of cold spinach dip and sourdough bread chunks while I cooked.  I found a new Niece Bianca picture waiting for me on my phone.  Mike watched football and called his parents to catch up with them awhile.  At some point, I had decided it would be pictures of just the table this Thanksgiving and stayed in my pajamas.  Mike's been battling a cold the past week or so, so Casual and Comfy were two of the words of the day here. 
When the side dishes were almost done, I looked around the apartment for a few decorations for the table and ended up just gathering the angel from our mantel and a few pumpkins and a pinecone.  Our First Thanksgiving with Store-Bought Pies was also Our First Thanksgiving with Paper Plates, but I liked these bold orange square ones and they made life easier Thursday.  The idea of making a couple orange gingham napkin rings had occured to me, but the idea came and went.  We used plain paper napkins and lived to tell the tale. 
We ended up eating around 7 pm, and everything was wonderful.  "Hunger is the best sauce," as Ma Ingalls would say, but everything really was good.  Watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles has become one of our Thanksgiving traditions, and surely, the amount we laugh during this film burns off half the calories consumed during the meal. 
And little Stuffed was in a strange mood all evening and could be found in a different spot every thirty minutes staring at who-knows-what but looking cute while he did it.
Love to you all, and a belated happy Thanksgiving. 

10 comments:

Nellie said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving Day you had, Val! It sounds just lovely with the two of you plus Stuffed!
xo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I LOVE your Thanksgiving. Your decorations the delicious looking food, your sweet little place, filled with color, joy and love and of course, Stuffed.

Have a lovely Christmas season.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, Nellie and Lorraine. ♥ :)

Amy said...

haha..."That's not two pillows!!"

I took shortcuts where I could get them this year, too. My husband deep fried the turkeys, so I had the oven all for myself!

I know I've said it before, but....your decor makes me happy! It really does. :)

Blessed Serendipity said...

Your table looked so pretty. I am impressed that you remembered to take photos before it was all gone! It takes so long to prepare and seems like only minutes to consume. Your kitty looks so sweet. Sounds like your day was perfect.

xo Danielle

Val said...

Amy and Danielle, thank you. :) My mom said tonight that she and my dad were wondering why I hadn't just bought already-made pies instead of even messing with frozen ones. It hadn't even occured to me--I have no idea why. Ha! Maybe since I had to do my Thanksgiving shopping Tuesday and had to work Wednesday, I just hadn't wanted them to sit around til Thursday? I have no idea, but the fact that I hadn't gone that (even easier) route made me laugh when she mentioned it. :)

And yes, Danielle, I always try to get pictures, even if--or maybe especially because--it does go by so fast. :)

Amy, thank you about my decorating. There are so many styles of decorating I love, but for now, at least, and in this apartment, all the colors and patterns feel right. How fun that you like that movie too! Almost every line in it makes me laugh. :)

La Table De Nana said...

I think it's so neat you pyjama partied it:)
You had a feast you lovebirds..
Marie's dishes are always so good..
Bee a good cook mother said and you'll get yourself a nice husband:) LOL remember that commercial? Of course not you are way too young..
Maries could give such fun classes.
Everything you do..you add a sweetness:)

TiffanyJane said...

Your table settle looks just beautiful! It was a little hectic for us trying to get everything ready {a fun kid of hectic tho}.
And I just love "little Stuffed", he is beautiful!!!!!

ps... I just convo.ed you back on etsy, hope you got it :)
xo Tiff

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Those orange plates are paper?! How pretty but orange is, just about, my favorite color. That nice sleep you had, Val, your body must have been crying out for it. I can't remember the last time I had a good sleep during the day. Unless I'm sick (last time 12/10) or 'utterly' exhausted, I don't sleep during the day. Dave always day napped and I was envious -smile-.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mike; looks like it was wonderful.

Val said...

Thank you, Monique, Tiff, and Sandra. ♥

'Will write you later this week, Tiff--Thank you. :)

Monique--how kind, thank you.

And Sandra, I love orange too. And it's only night shift that allows me to be able to sleep during the day. I never could (before) either. I also knew that envy well. :) Thank you. ♥