Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer 2011

After watching her health seriously deteriorate in two months' time, my mom was diagnosed yesterday with Lyme Disease. I was shocked when I saw how thin and frail she looked when I traveled home for a family wedding last month.  "Your mom weighed 100 pounds last week," my dad had warned me upon my arrival at the bus station, but when I saw Mom back at home, I knew she now weighed even less than that.  And it has been stressful for us all to wonder what was going on with her. 
After a winter and spring of other stressors, this summer has been one of stories of her ER visits and dizzy spells and reports on blood work and mentions of hands-going-numb-while-driving and of weakness-too-great-to-be-able-to-get-out-of-the-car. While the stress and other health concerns continue, at least now we know that Lyme Disease is a big part of what's happening.
This year, while not as laughter-filled as others, has been one of extra care packages, phone calls, and cards for my mom, and I am grateful for all the love and prayers sent her way. Mom is now on meds to help battle the Lyme, she is at the hospital again today for more tests, and my dad and brothers and their families are right there to help out. I can make another visit home to Mom soon, bring her Daisies wrapped in gingham tissue paper, bake her some chocolate chip cookies, and settle her into a nest of blankets on the couch for a movie marathon. Hopefully, too, we can share another good long laugh. It's been too long.

13 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, Val! We will pray for a swift recovery for your mom, calm and peace for you.

Val said...

Thank you so much, Carol. I know you know what this kind of thing is like. Hugs to you too.

Kathryn said...

Your mom is just beautiful. I pray she starts feel fresh vitality soon. I love all your ideas of showering her with love and goodness, she is very lucky your her daughter!

Val said...

Thank you, Kathryn! :)

Lisa said...

Poor woman - I hope she'll be improving soon. You're a good girl, Val :)
I will remember your dear mother in my prayers.

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa. :) I will update when there's something to report. The doctors said it will be a few weeks before her meds start to kick in/show results, so it will be awhile. She had been sent to neurologists and had all kinds of texts and exams--quite scary--so I think she feels at least a little better just knowing what it is.

Cindy said...

Val I will be praying for your mom. At least they did that test. So many Dr.'s don't and it is a simple test...with usually good results after meds.

Hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

FlowerLady said...

Dear Val ~ I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I too pray for a swift recovery for her. We just had a friend diagnosed with this too.

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Cindy and FlowerLady, thank you both. Best wishes for your friend too, FL.

Anonymous said...

hugs and prayers all around, friend! :) love, cheese.

Val said...

Thank you, Marylou. :)

josephinetalepeddler said...

Hello, I'm so sorry to read about your Mum. She looks so beautiful and at least she is blessed by having such a caring daughter. My father has also been battling cancer for years now so I know how tought it can be. Take Care of yourself. xx

Val said...

Thank you, Josephine, that's kind of you. Prayers back to you and your dad.