Saturday, March 29, 2008

No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has emerged from the kingdom of night. ~ Elie Wiesel

It's been a crazy-busy couple of weeks at the restaurant and I've been more exhausted than usual. I started crying while trying to fall asleep Wednesday night because my feet hurt so much. After buying new work shoes and sleeping with my feet elevated a few nights, I'm in a lot less pain now, and I've made 7-8-ish p.m. my bedtime the past couple of nights to help combat the fatigue. Today was a better day, and I'll have a day off after this weekend. During the simultaneous chaotic breakfast-cooking and banquet-preparing the other day, though, the little duck above was spotted on a plate sent back to the kitchen to wash. The other cook and I oohed and ahhed over the sight and took this picture while we marveled that such a thing had magically emerged from just the leftover cereal pieces and scrambled eggs on someone's plate. It wasn't until I shared the picture with Mike later and he said, "So someone pushed their food together to make the duck for you guys to find?" that I realized that that's how this "magic" occurred. I would prefer to believe that this "just happened," but if an anonymous customer took the time to do something to give us a smile while we worked, I count that as magic too. We needed the time-out and laughter this week. Thank You, Unknown Breakfast Leftovers Artist. :)

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

You know what they always say about ducks: serence and peaceful on the surface but paddling like crazy underwater. I think we all do that to some extent. :-)

Years ago a friend of mine, when going through a rough patch in life, told me that you will never gain momentum by standing still.

You have to keep marching forward, head held high, even when that tunnel is at its blackest. You will eventually come out the otherside..... just keep moving forward.

Sounds like you did just that! :-)

Val said...

Thank you, Marilyn. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Val. Glad to hear you're feeling happy, in spite of sore tootsies.

ThinMan

Val said...

Thanks, ThinMan. I really am happy, yes. :) How are your gardens looking this year? I hope you're doing well. :)

Rose said...

It's always the little things that make a day brighter. A bird song, a new bud, a puppy kiss....
I'm so happy that you are happy! I truly mean that, you deserve it because you pass happiness to every person you meet.

I love the duck food too ;)

Rose

Val said...

That's sweet, Rose, thank you, and yes, it's the little things, indeed.