Last Monday afternoon while Dad stayed inside with Mom, I spent some time walking in the patch of woods behind their house and hardly wanted to go back indoors. Fall color is past its peak at home, but enough remained to awe me. The creek Dad dips his watering cans into for his gardens through the summer reflected mostly-bare branches and was lined by the mosses' and ferns' deep green and the surprising remainders of leaves glowing ruby and gold. Birdhouses that Dad had built and painted barn-red were vibrant in the gray branches of a few trees, while patches of orange Chinese Lanterns dotted the woods like twinkling string lights at the bases of others. There was enough of a breeze to sweep the pine needle and soil scents through the air but not so much as to make picture-taking impossible. The only sounds were the bubbling of the creek and the leaves brushing against the trees. The sun was setting as I finally turned the corner to head back into the field behind Mom and Dad's house, gifting me with the shadow pictures I so love, and a last heart-shaped leaf was awaiting me beside Dad's compost pile before I climbed the deck's steps and came in to change into pajamas for the night. Glorious fall.
Monday, November 9, 2015
In the Woods
Last Monday afternoon while Dad stayed inside with Mom, I spent some time walking in the patch of woods behind their house and hardly wanted to go back indoors. Fall color is past its peak at home, but enough remained to awe me. The creek Dad dips his watering cans into for his gardens through the summer reflected mostly-bare branches and was lined by the mosses' and ferns' deep green and the surprising remainders of leaves glowing ruby and gold. Birdhouses that Dad had built and painted barn-red were vibrant in the gray branches of a few trees, while patches of orange Chinese Lanterns dotted the woods like twinkling string lights at the bases of others. There was enough of a breeze to sweep the pine needle and soil scents through the air but not so much as to make picture-taking impossible. The only sounds were the bubbling of the creek and the leaves brushing against the trees. The sun was setting as I finally turned the corner to head back into the field behind Mom and Dad's house, gifting me with the shadow pictures I so love, and a last heart-shaped leaf was awaiting me beside Dad's compost pile before I climbed the deck's steps and came in to change into pajamas for the night. Glorious fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Love the sound of being in the woods in the fall..I have mentioned I hear the stillness..
♥
Yes, the heard silence. Yes.
You write so beautifully, Val! Lovely pictures, and a great walk in the woods. xo Nellie
Oohh, thank you, Nellie! That means a lot to me.
Oh Val, your words are so beautiful. You took me on that walk with you. Thank you so much! xoxo
PS - I hear silence too. Especially when it is snowing. Big fluffy white flakes. Best sound ever.
Thank you, Marie. Yes, the snow-silence. I look forward to that now. ♥
Post a Comment