Monday, February 3, 2014

Bird Window

Parallel to our apartment's entrance door is a set of double windows I've been cheering-up with my little bird collection.  Some of the birds are gifts, one I made, and a few are ornaments from Target's dollar bins.  One of these days, I want to paint or make a Baltimore Oriole for the window at right (not shown).  I've only ever seen two, the first high in a tree my grandfather pointed out in his backyard, and another in the thicket across the road from my parents' house as I was returning home from one of my long walks in the summer of 2007.  Good memories, both.  And there should be a Cardinal for my younger brother, the St. Louis Cardinals fanatic.  I'll likely paint or make another  Black-capped Chickadee too. 
One of the best things about our old apartment was that it offered a good view of its its side-yard from our bathroom window and it was woodsy enough that we got to see (and feed) birds every day.  Birds would land on our fire escape there too, much to Stuffed's delight.  (He would perch on the window sill as he watched the birds, one of his front paws occasionally up against the windowpane, tail steadily wagging left, right, left, right. . . .)  This apartment's windows, with two exceptions, don't look out onto nature at all, so we all see fewer birds these days.  My bird window and potted plants and vases of grocery store-bought flowers are hardly substitutes for the real things, but in a "Bloom where you're planted" sense, they cheer up the space and are even that much of a balm to the soul. 

11 comments:

Teresa Schubert said...

Val, I think your birds are quite cheerful and your right, we all have to just bloom where we're planted
Teresa
sugar, spice and whatever's nice

Val said...

Thank you, Teresa. :)

Lisa said...

That's awfully cute! I have decided that you must learn crochet first, Val - you could make so many things which would fit in so well with your decor. And, birds! Have you seen Lucy's blog?
Attic 24. She has a crocheted bird tutorial, which I've wanting to try.
http://download.sears.com/docs/spin_prod_865489412.pdf

Val said...

Yes, I like Lucy's blog, Lisa, and this is the year I'm planning to learn to crochet. I bought a teach-yourself kit last year but didn't catch on the way I'd hoped I would, so now I plan to take lessons. The local craft store offers them, and I've seen a couple people locally who teach too.

Marie said...

Oh how sweet and cheerful Val! I love them! You always make me smile with what you post! Love you to bits! xxoo

Marie said...

Lisa, you link leads to an instruction pdf for putting together a christmas tree.

Val said...

Thank you, Marie. :) I just emailed you. ♥

Deb said...

This is so cute and creative. You truly are "blooming where you are planted!" Have a good day.

Val said...

Thank you, Deb.

Donna said...

Oh, wow - I LOVE these birds!!! And I have to say again, Stuffed is a gorgeous kitty!!!!
Donna

Val said...

Thank you, Donna. :) Stuffed is beautiful, yes. :)