Friday, December 27, 2013

Our First Three Christmas Breakfasts

I've  never been a breakfast person--I eat it every day, but I prefer to heat up some soup or make a sandwich instead of eating more typical breakfast foods, and I think my two-and-a-half-year stint as a breakfast cook permanently wiped out any fondness I ever could have found for the smells of bacon, eggs, or waffles--but the Christmas breakfast Mike and I share has become one of my favorite parts of the holiday.  It has been egg casserole and cinnamon rolls every year, and while the food is good (she says modestly), it is the table-setting and actual sharing of it that I love the most.  We enjoy a Christmas Eve dinner and a Christmas evening dinner too, but somehow it's our Christmas breakfasts that delight me. 
This was Mike's and my third Christmas in this apartment, and our third as a married couple.  I remember Dad asking me on the phone last Christmas what we'd had for breakfast, and I responded, "Egg casserole and cinnamon rolls--It's our tradition" and then laughing at that with him because it had been only the second Christmas Mike and I had done that.  'Quite a tradition!  :)  Our Christmas meal together before we married was always a belated supper  after we'd both returned from our parents' homes--Christmas 2011 was the first time we shared Christmas Eve, Christmas morning, and Christmas dinner together.  And it's sweet to be able to do that.  I had actually been scheduled to work this Christmas, but a coworker covered it for me, picking up some holiday overtime for herself, and Mike and I were quite grateful.  (I burst into tears when she said she would work it for me, I was that surprised and relieved.)  Our holiday together was extra-special this year, then, since we hadn't known until last week that we would, in fact, be together for it.  And this year's breakfast was sunny and sweet just like the two before it.
2011's breakfast table was in aqua with most everything on it a gift from loved ones.  The knit-look aqua mugs were from my mom.  The candlesticks too.  The lace snowflake tablecloth was a Christmas gift from my younger brother in 2010 and is now part of the tradition. 
Last year's breakfast table was pink.  The candles, trees, deer, house, church, and other little ornaments were all from Mom, Aunt Laurie, and (one of their younger sisters) Aunt Heidi. 
And this year's table was glowing and sunshiney, although that was an as-I-woke-up-Christmas-morning decision.  The yellow under the lace tablecloth was the yellow gingham bedspread I'd used on the table this past Easter.  It looked soft and mellow with the lace over it, which was nice.  While Mike slept in, I gathered the dishes from the cupboard and the ornaments off our tree that were yellow and cream, picked a couple yellow star sugar cookies for our plates out of the tin, and even found a lion and lamb amongst Stuffed's toys.    (Martha Stewart would shake her head.  That's okay.) 
The snowflake spreader was on Christmas clearance at Walgreens (drugstore) years ago for fifty cents or so.  :)  The trees and houses and ornaments and casserole dish were all gifts. 
Mom found me the brown deer at the flea market this fall and gave it to me last week.  The glass candle dish was the one Aunt Laurie had tucked into our cookie tin this Christmas. 
And now it is back to work for me after a blissful six days off.  I am blessed beyond measure. 
And it was absolutely a merry little Christmas. 

9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I am trying a third time to send a comment, let's see if it goes through.

This was such a happy, colorful and love filled post. I really enjoyed it.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine. ♥

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you had those six days off, Val.

Nellie said...

This sounds like an excellent tradition, Val. Very special! xo Nellie

Marie said...

How wonderful that you were able to once more share a special Christmas Breakfast together. I love reading about your traditions. I think they are quite, quite sweet. I loved your table setting and those mugs are just adorable! Glad that you had a Happy Christmas. That makes me happy too. xxoo

9peasMom said...

Merry Christmas to you Val! I love your table scape, so pretty! All your decorating is really cute!
Traditions start somewhere, and I really like yours. It looks like a delicious tradition!

Val said...

Thank you all. :) xox♥

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I LOVE breakfast and yours looks especially wonderful. The casserole and rolls...oh my! Glad you had a great Christmas, Val.

Val said...

Thank you, Sandra. If ever we get together, I'll come packing cinnammon rolls. :)