Tuesday, May 7, 2013

36

I turn thirty-six years old today.  I am the rare soul who loves to grow older.  I've loved my thirties and can't wait to be forty and have been saying since I was a kid, "Can you imagine being eighty or ninety someday!?  Knowing everything you'll know by that point and having learned that much and experienced that much and finally being able to see how so many of the pieces and story-lines of your life all fit together?!  Wow!"  Wow, indeed.  My older brother will be forty in February and has long been lamenting his "advanced" age, but I myself love it. 
We all had a sweet visit over the weekend.  My mom loved her paper dolls, yes.  As predicted, right after the "Oh my gosh!" and "Vally, how did you FIND this?!" came "There's IDA!  Oh, I remember her!  I always remembered there was an Ida with dark hair pulled up on top!"  :)  My younger brother and his wife announced that they're expecting their first baby in November.  Aunt Laurie and I sat at the dining room table with mugs of hot chocolate Sunday night and looked through a stack of old Country Living magazines that Mom had found at the flea market the day before.  Mom made my traditional birthday cheesecake (made with lemon gelatin) and wrapped my gifts in a pink polka dot paper.  (My brothers groan and make fun of me because I take so long to unwrap presents, but I admire the gift wraps and bows and cards so much and always save a scrap of each wrapping paper from birthdays and Christmas.  They thought and hoped I could open my gifts during the twenty-minute intermission during the hockey game they were watching Sunday, but alas, no, so they turned on the radio to listen to the next period while I finished.  ["Brothers."  :)])  My older brother gave me my traditional birthday bag of rhubarb from his garden.  My uncle showed me his new camera.  My cousin Mark and I caught up and watched a couple shows on the Food network.  My dad and I laughed at the fact that Mom is all excited about the "new" shade of blue she and Dad have been repainting the house this past week even though it's looked to the rest of us like the exact same blue since 1978.  My nephew regaled us with sports trivia, and my niece's ever-growing refrigerator collection of grinning cat drawings--each one labeled "HELLO KITTY!"--still has me and Mike giggling.  
I'm not 100% yet but am feeling much better.  Thank you.    I hadn't been sick since around New Year's, so that was a great good-health streak for me.  And I have a few more days to rest before returning to work, so this should be a restorative week.  
Last year's rainbow birthday cake took forever to make, although it was so fun and cheerful, it was worth it to me, but I needed rest more than rainbows this time around, so tonight's dessert for me and Mike was two slices of carrot cake from a local coffee shop.  
And especially since I never found pink Tulips for Easter or my beloved Daffodils at all this spring, I treated myself to a small bouquet of orange Tulips this afternoon.  It rained here almost all day, so orange was the way to go today.  Here's to another year of trying to shine brighter and to be better and wiser and kinder, both to self and others.  Here's to thirty-six

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Val!!!! God bless.

There's a surprise for you on my blog. :)

pam said...

Happy Birthday! Glad it was a good one!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Belated Happy 36th Birthday dear Val. I would say you had a lovely celebration with family, filled with fun and love.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Taby Jean said...

Happiest of birthdays!!

La Table De Nana said...

You're so adorable..you..photos..words and all..:)
You are in my daughters age range one will be 38..the other is 36:)

Vintage Jane said...

Sounds like a lovely family filled birthday. M x

Val said...

Thank you all so very much. :) ♥♥♥

Amy said...

I was ambivalent about getting older until I hit 40 -- now I'm like 'hell yeah...the older I get, the nicer people treat me and I can start to say all kinds of randomness and nobody will bat an eye!' haha...

If anyone deserves a wonderful birthday, it's you! *hug*

Nellie said...

Oh, goodness! I missed your birthday, Val. I send along belated happy birthday wishes to you. We have just completed one of our "birthday seasons" here. Our oldest daughter is now 40, and her father and I are 33 years older. She was born on my 33rd birthday!

I loved reading about your birthday observance with your family, and that carrot cake looks scrumptious!

Take care of yourself!

emily said...

There is no way you are 36. If I look that good, I will happily get older!

Val said...

Thank you, Amy, Nellie, and Emily. :) You all make me laugh.

And yes, Nellie, such a sweet time of year for birthdays. :)

Emily, thank youuuuuu, that's sweet to hear, especially since I was really suffering from a cold when I took that picture!

Pat Hatt said...

I'm only 28 and lamenting it already, sounds like a grand time though.

Val said...

Hi, Pat. 28's the youngest you'll ever be now--Enjoy it. :) Happy to meet you.