Monday, February 11, 2013

Desk Redo

One of last fall's projects was redoing our desk.  Here it is this morning, finally, a rare touch of blue in our otherwise rainbow-colored home.  My mom "ruined" blue for me decades ago:  She has always used it on everything and in almost every room, and in a shade I've never liked, so I've been on Mom-induced Blue Overload almost from birth.  But a bright blue!  A sky blue!  An aqua blue!  Those, I love, and I mixed and matched until I got the desk looking and feeling the way I wanted.  Below is the desk pre-project.  When Mike and I were crammed into our crazy old studio apartment with barely a path between bed, desk, table, bathroom, and kitchen-nook, the desk was hardly visible, but here in our new home, it's one of the first things we see when we come through the door, so I knew I'd doll it up. 
I attached blue gingham oilcloth attached to the desk's top and keyboard tray.  I swooned during a visit to my parents' house last year when I saw this floral fabric Mom had used to make a shower curtain, and she later gave me a couple yards for my birthday.    (She was likely just thrilled that her daughter finally wanted something blue.  She'd have given me anything.)  ;)
It still looked too bare to me, though, so I decided to make a frame for the monitor to give the project an extra pop of color.  The frame is posterboard from the grocery store.  Its cover is oilcloth.  I went with black gingham to spare Mike the pink-Roses-on-cream that I really wanted (not that he'd have really objected, but. . ."Marital Compromise Time!" as we say).  
But that looked too busy and just didn't do it for me, so the search was on, and I found what I wanted at Deborah's Laminates etsy shop:  Laminated fabric in this funky aqua pattern that looks like embroidered tie-dye  'Love, love, love. 
A few more photos and Val/Mike Things to jazz it up, 
and now, although I still want to find another mousepad (likely a pink-Roses-on-cream one [see how this Marital Compromise thing plays out?!]), I'm declaring another apartment project on my To Do list done. 

15 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

What a colorful life you love:) I bet your mom was thrilled you loved something she loved!
Cute cute..:) Everything.

Val said...

Thank you, Monique. :) And yes, Mom's always happy when that happens. :)

Nellie said...

Well, I must say that I am a fan of blue, but usually paler, more muted hues - or sky blue. I think you have created a beautiful desk. It has never occurred to me to decorate my computer desk!:-)

Have a wonderful Monday!

Val said...

Oh, blue is lovely, Nellie, I know, but it was just EVERYWHERE in our home growing up, and it got old. :) Thank you about the desk. You have a good week too! :)

Kim said...

I love, love, love how you use color. Your desk is really beautiful Val- nice job! :)

Val said...

Thank you, Kim! :)

asmplelife said...

I love all the color! Oh so bright and happy looking. You must love sitting there and writing!

rachel said...

So bright and colourful! I love it!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Val, love visiting with you! my monitor has smallish sides and your wallpaper fills it up...totally cheerful! Love your re-do and can see how it would brighten your day.

Annabelle said...

Your home is a total pop of love and colour (both of you cuddling wherever I look) - I love it and can feel your happiness. x

Amy said...

:-0 dude. I love it so much! Look....how 'bout if you come over and redecorate for me and I'll do your laundry. :) Is that fabric from Rachel Ashwell? I have some similar in my bathroom...it's SO pretty!
(and I had to laugh, because this past weekend, I got tired of the same mustard color everything had been painted when we first moved in, so after I painted my kitchen island a purple color, I decided I was going to paint the kitchen blue. oh, my god...I hated it instantly! So, I waited til it dried, and went to Home Depot and bought a can of red paint and painted over it as quick as I could...)

Anne said...

Hello, my Dear! Love your desk re-do! I've come to you from The "Grow Your Blog" party...it was over before I knew about it, but it was so nice of Vicki to leave the list up! Anyway, I always welcome new blogs to enjoy, and yours is delightful! I am now following you ~ please come and visit me if you get a chance!
So nice to "meet" you!
Hugs,
Anne

Terri said...

Oh that is the sweetest re do! Val, you are super creative, and you really brought life to that desk. How cheery! The frame around the screen is a great idea too. You must be thrilled : )
Hugs,
Terri

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine said...

What a wonderful, colorful re-do! You're so creative! I love the monitor frame too. It's such a great idea!

Val said...

Thank you all! And Amy, your house sounds really colorful too. :)