Monday, February 6, 2012

Photo Booth

Something at work last night reminded me of my and my younger brother's tradition of taking photo booth pictures at the boardwalk arcade on our summer vacations in Ocean City, Maryland as kids. We would beg quarters for the machine off our parents all week to get enough together for our picture-taking sessions. I keep a favorite of these photos in a frame on one of my bookshelves, and it always makes me smile. And sure to make me laugh is remembering how one of our many photo booth ventures was thwarted. I don't remember if the booth was just eating our coins, but it wasn't working, and after a few disappointed seconds, I parted the pleated curtains to go find an arcade employee who could fix it. While my brother waited outside the booth, I nervously approached a group of men gathered nearby and told one of them the photo booth wasn't working. They stared at me in silence for a few seconds while I looked up at them, certain I was impressing my younger brother and all proud of myself for acting like such a grownup. The man I had bravely chosen to address finally spoke up. "You know," he said, "I don't work here." Mortified, I nonsensically replied, "I know." (What?!) I made my way back over to Brian, and soon we were quoting me and laughing as we relived my embarrassment. Clearly, I am the smooth one in the family. :) We were soon howling with laughter, the line becoming funnier each time we said it, and we were still saying it hours later back in our motel room with our parents and older brother. "Yeah," we would chortle to each other, setting off another giggle fit, "I know." And now probably twenty years later, I still can't look at any of our photo booth prints without blushing and laughing.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Pretty cute story. :D

Val said...

Ohhhh, I can be counted on for such smoothness, Lisa. :)

asmplelife said...

I love all your stories, Val! Thanks for the chuckle =]

Val said...

:), Cheryl. ♥