Saturday, January 21, 2012

On Sommer's 35th

My friend Sommer would have turned 35 today. She died in a car accident a few months before we graduated from high school in 1995. I myself will be 35 this May, and that seems natural enough, but to imagine Sommer that same age boggles my mind: I didn't get to see even a 19-year-old Sommer, after all, or make it through my twenties with a "twenty-something" one, I didn't get to celebrate our 30th birthdays with her. . . .Som is always my just-turned-18-year-old buddy.

I had a cheerful-looking bouquet delivered to her mom's house today, and tonight I celebrate my sweet girl in a way I think she'd love: Watching her favorite movie, Last of the Mohicans, and eating a batch of cookies my mom had jokingly named after her since she loved them so much and used to request them when she'd come home with me after school. "Wow!" she told her when my mom explained the new name for these most-basic chocolate cookies, "I've never had a cookie named after me before!" Goofball. :) I don't know if I'll be able to get through the movie without bawling--I have only ever seen it with Sommer, one Friday night in 1994 that found us sprawled out on her waterbed to watch it during a sleepover, and I haven't been able to bear it since she died--but I am going to sit down with a few of her cookies and some tea soon and try again. I remember enough about the film to know I will have to mute it during Clannad's hauntingly beautiful song "I Will Find You," for it was on a mix tape Som had given me and it shreds my heart every time I hear it. ("No matter where you go, I will find you ~ If it takes a long long time ~ No matter where you go, I will find you ~ If it takes a thousand years. . .") But I will try. I will try for you, Sommer! Hopefully, my love of actor Daniel Day-Lewis, if not my love of Sommer, will be enough to see me through it. (This is when 17-year-old Sommer and Val would look at his photo above and utter a giggly "Hubba-Hubba!" to each other.) ;)

As Movie Night begins here for me, please give your own friends some extra love and attention. I do what I can for Sommer now, and in the end, I believe love and prayers (and chocolate cookies and Daniel Day-Lewis) really
must be enough, but I would give so much for one more of her headlock-bear hugs and to hear her raucous laughter one more time. 

P.S.) If you'd like to join me in baking
some "Chocolate Sommers":


 Mix one box of chocolate cake mix,
two eggs, and 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.

Drop or shape the cookie dough however
you wish, and bake at 350 degrees for
about ten minutes.

You can do this with any flavor of cake mix
to turn it into cookies, but "
Chocolate Sommers," 

are, of course, the classic recipe.    :) 

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Gosh, Va - you are a faithful friend!!! To keep her memory alive so long - God bless you.
For some reason I thought she'd had a disease of some sort - didn't realize it was an accident.

Val said...

Thank you, Lisa. ♥

And the movie-watching was anti-climactic, it turns out--and that's good. :) I was more surprised by how YOUNG Daniel Day-Lewis looks in it than I was upset about anything. :)

Nellie said...

Sending along sympathies to you in this loss, although it was long ago. I can tell you two were very good friends.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm said...

Dear Val, Sommer was blessed to have you as her friend; you have been blessed by her friendship as well. You're in my thoughts and prayers today; it's good the upset was from Day-Lewis looking so young -smile-. That's going to happen more and more, I do hate to tell you -smile-.
I wish I could tell you something that was wise, pithy and would make you happy but, unfortunately, I'm fresh out. What I need is a shower and some pain meds; a sheep was down, just before dark, and it took me a while to get him on his feet again. My old body is tired and hurting so the brain isn't working so well. I am sorry.
What a blessing is friendship; I hope you've gathered more good friends along the way.

Val said...

Thank you, Nellie and Sandra. :) Som was a gem. And I am happy and fine now--just battling a cold here with Mike tonight. He's been under the weather the past week or so, and it hit me early this morning. TONIGHT would be a good night to cuddle up under an afghan and watch a movie, if I can stay awake for it. :)

asmplelilfe said...

Val, what a good and true friend you were for Sommer. I'm sure her Mom is thankful that you were part of her daughter's life. I'm sorry for your loss....old friends, like Sommer would have been for you, are very special.

Val said...

Thank you, Cheryl, so much. ♥

GennieG said...

Hi Val,
I think you are such a kind person through all of your posts. I see that you are loyal and faithful. I think this was a beautiful tribute to your friend Sommer. Everyone should be blessed to have a friend like you. I also read your most current post- I hope you feel better soon.