Friday, April 22, 2011

Wedding Cake, Cookies, & Flowers :)

After we went out to supper last Friday night, we stopped at a Wal-Mart near our hotel to pick up cake and ice cream. Since we'll be having some kind of celebration with our families sometime in the future, this cake was just was for us, and while I wasn't picky about it, I still hoped to run into the store and find something special, and as with the rest of our wedding weekend, our luck held: The store had a simple white square cake with a spring green border that exactly matched the green of my dress. :) The cake originally had hot pink and purple flowers iced onto the corners, but I knew I could fix it up easily enough, so into my basket it went. As I paid for the cake and ice cream, the cashier commented on my hair--it was still in its braid--and the cake, and I had to explain that I'd gotten married that day and would be using this as my wedding cake. She congratulated me and laughed--"Wal-Mart is the LAST place I'd be on MY wedding day!"--and then looked puzzled when she rang up the colored pencils, silk Daffodil bunch, and small black picture frame. I let her wonder about those items, and while waiting for Mike, an elderly man spotted me standing there with my cake and kindly said, "Someone having a birthday?" I explained that it was actually for a wedding, and he nodded and said, "Ahh! Those are good too!" Mike and I thought that was one of the more memorable comments from Friday, and it was just a sweet moment. 
It was exactly the cake I'd wanted. I used to be really into cake decorating, but even had I spent a lot of time and effort on our wedding cake, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Like the rest of the weekend, it was simple and and sweet and lovely and just "us." And the little framed drawing is now up on a shelf here in our apartment, and I'm sure we'll use it on all our anniversary cakes too.
The day before the wedding, I spent some timing sewing my pocket of pictures of loved ones into my dress and attaching Sommer's ring and something else in honor of someone else to the jacket, and when those projects were done, I began baking and decorating heart-shaped cookies to share with the court house staff and hotel staff. And I saved a few for me and Mike, of course.  :)
I made the bouquet of silk flowers so I could keep it. It is all-yellow Daffodils (my favorite flower), Pussy Willows, and a few Cattails, with the handle/holder wrapped in green gingham ribbon. 
Just looking at it makes me happy. I finished making it in late March but didn't want Mike to see it until the wedding--not that he himself would have remotely cared :)--so although I wanted to keep it out where I could see it every day, I didn't have the chance until after the wedding. And today I have been married a week already and the leftover cake, the tiny framed drawing, and the bouquet will soon be on our Easter dinner table. 

9 comments:

The Favorite Things Guy said...

How precious, Val! I really wish you both the best. In so many ways, simple is not only good but unique as well. I love simple things like that. It makes love so much more symbolic.

Once again, I wish you and Mike the absolutely best.

Lisa said...

So, you are the artist! I love your cake - you're very resourceful. And the cookies look quite delicious.
Be happy!

Val said...

Thank you both so much. :) Mike told me tonight that my giving the cookies to the staff was one of his favorite moments of last weekend, which surprised me so much and was such a nice thing to hear from him. :) Thank you for the good wishes!

Kathryn said...

Congratulations Val - Lisa let me know I was missing some BIG news - I'm SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

Val said...

Thank you, Kathryn! :) I was just about to go to bed when I saw this--Thank you!! I left YOU a message on my running blog, by the way. :)

Chad said...

Nicely modified. I'd have never known there were once offending purple flowers from the pictures of your perfect cake. Well done!

Val said...

Thank you, Chad. :)

Paula said...

Hi sweet Val! I loved every sweet word you wrote and every lovely photo you shared! What a beautiful, special and sweet wedding day you and Mike shared! I am so happy for both of you! You are a very talented artist! I LOVE the little drawing you did of you and Mike in your wedding clothes!!! What a precious keepsake that will be! I love your idea of using it to grace your future anniversary cakes! You are so romantic and kind! I love that you made cookies to share with all those you encountered on your wedding day! The bouquet you made is gorgeous and you did a beautiful job with the cake too! I wish you both all the happiness there is! Love, Paula

Val said...

Thank you, Paula, for all your kind words! :)