Friday, June 8, 2007

Storybook Blooms and Little Girl Rouge


Although I didn’t start gardening until I was twenty-seven, my interest in it was sparked as a kid both by my grandparents’ wonderland of a yard and by a book my Mom bought me when I was maybe five or six, The Care Bears’ GardenMy grandmother, for all the many flowers she had, never had Hollyhocks or Foxgloves while I was growing up, so when I saw them in the book’s illustrations, I thought of them as magical storybook kind of flowers--much like the giggling posies in the Chuckle Patch on "The Magic Garden," one of my favorite childhood TV shows and probably another inspiration. I didn’t know the cute drawings were based on real flowers. Hollyhocks and Foxgloves still delight me. This week, my own Foxgloves began to bloom.

My so-far-favorite rose, Louise Odier, also opened up this week. When I was little, the neighborhood girls and I would rub onto our faces the fallen petals of our neighbor Gracie’s roses, feeling quite womanly as we did so, of course. I’m transported back to those summer moments spent crouched in front of Gracie’s plastic picket fence every time I smell this flower.




All in all, I'm a happy five-year-old while in my garden this week, even if I've stopped rouging my cheeks with rose petals. 

4 comments:

dawn said...

isn't she most lovely?
bourbons so rock.

Val said...

:)

Keri said...

Beautiful photos!!

How are you doing these days?

Val said...

Hi, Keri! I always love finding you here. :) I'm looking for a new job but am pretty happy overall. I'll email you. :)