Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Yesterday's Walk: ~ The more peace there is in us, the more peace there will be in our troubled world.~ Etty Hillesum

I only worked an eight-hour shift overnight Monday as opposed to the usual twelve, so I had more energy than usual after walking home yesterday.  It was a good morning, then, to pack my backpack for a longer walk.  After buying a carrot muffin and some watermelon, I got my bag together, filled my water bottle with iced tea and lemon slices, reapplied my sunscreen and lip balm (this kind, thank you, and I could EAT it, it smells and tastes so good), and set back out into the sun.  At the two-mile mark, I found myself admiring this fountain as I always do.  It is my favorite sculpture in one of my favorite spots in the city.  The University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning stands in the background, another of the city's great beauties.  In the nine years I've lived here, I've spent many hours on the benches that surround this fountain, sometimes with an ice cream cone and sometimes with a book, but always grateful for the oasis this spot provides.  May 2011.  And that a human being created this! 
It was a hot and humid walk, even so early in the morning, but there was a nice enough breeze.  Nature provided hearts along the way, as it tends to do. 
When I last showed you Neptune, his pool was not yet filled with lily pads.  He has a more colorful world to guard now in the summer.
And into the woods. . . .
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Bliss.
The pond wasn't looking its best, and I couldn't take a step on its shores without crossing paths with dragonflies skimming the water.  I passed a man who was out walking and a few young women running through the woods, but it was a quiet park yesterday.  'Too buggy to lunch here, but peaceful.  And breezy enough to give relief, but not so windy as to keep the flowers from standing still for pictures. 
I returned to the park to find a shady spot for lunch. 
The site of what used to be Forbes Field, one of the Pittsburgh Pirates' earliest stadiums, ended up being the ideal place to put down my backpack finally and take a break.  Dappled shade and solitude!  It's another of my favorite places in the city.  It's a quiet and small spot, neatly tucked away into the campus that now surrounds it, but is one with so much history.  In 1935, Babe Ruth hit three home runs here in a single game.  Bill Mazeroski's home run that won the 1960 World Series for the Pirates was hit here too.  I never walk around what remains of the outfield wall without remembering that my grandfather and my dad got to see many of the greats play ball here.  
One set of three-tier bleachers was in full sun yesterday afternoon, but the other made a perfect dining room.  Shade!  The frosting and flowers I spread onto my muffin-now-turned-cupcake were pretty but not quite what I was feeling like after so much walking--it would be eight miles by the time I arrived back at home later--but the iced tea was soon almost gone and I could have happily eaten my weight in watermelon. 
After eating, I wandered around more before starting the walk home and noticed a table and chair set in the distance behind the outfield wall.  I don't remember it having been there before, but it will surely be one of my next lunch spots.  How dear is this! 
A rabbit sat still long enough for me to get its picture as I walked home.  Usually, they're too skittish and disappear as soon as I raise the camera. 
Two miles back to the apartment--
--and soon I was crawling into bed--finally--to sleep away the rest of the afternoon. 

6 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

That table and chairs..exactly like the Tuileries chairs..you have to eat there:)
Did you see the heart in the tree?

Lovely spots! You are awesome:)

Val said...

Yes, I did see the heart in the tree. 'Only when I saw the picture I'd taken, though, making it a nice back-at-home surprise. :)

Thank you, and ahh, the chairs. Yes. . .someday!

Carola Bartz said...

Such a delightful walk! You photos are exquisite. It was lovely to "walk" with you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!db

Marie Rayner said...

Thanks so much for taking us with you on your lovely walk Val! I enjoyed every step! It sounds like you really enjoyed it also. Love all the photos! Love and hugs! xoxo

Val said...

Thank you, Carola, db, and Marie.