Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Sad Sack Looks Forward to April

When I finally got around to treating myself to the Daffodils, the store was out of them and had moved on to other flowers.  And that kind of sums up March So Far.  There was also the moment Monday night when after what seemed like three weeks straight of  my bumbling through life like Sad Sack, I was washing dishes and noticed how beautiful it all was:  The grooved orange cereal bowl, the curvy bottle of pink (pink!) dish liquid (Palmolive "Soft Touch" with Vitamin E [it's lovely]), the mounds of sparkling soap suds, the green plaid dish cloth. . . .It was all so colorful and so pretty, and the sink smelled rich from the soap, and my hands were warm in the water, and finally, finally, my mood lifted.  I breathed it all in and thought about how lucky I was, how blessed, really, to be able to enjoy such a moment.  And I told myself to laugh off the absurdities and blunders of the past few weeks, to make amends where needed, and to go ahead and just declare this March over already and start anew.  I even imagined myself writing about it here, the rainbow of dishes in the sink and the rainbows on bubbles in the soap suds and the gift of--and the life-long lesson in--seeing beauty where others see a mess.  I had the blog post half-composed in my head when, lost in my revelry, I somehow squeezed the sink's hose nozzle and sprayed myself full-on in the face.  Water up my nose, water flooding my eyes, water dripping out of my hair, water trickling from my face down into my bra. . . .And so March continued.  You really do just have to laugh.

The month's best laugh came from Stuffed, however, who decided to help us do our taxes Sunday afternoon.

He had seen paper clips many times before, so I don't know what the fascination was Sunday, but he went to this clipped pile of Mike's tax forms over and over and over, looking ever more shark-like each time he approached the pile.  This is a ten-second clip, but this went on for about an hour before we took the papers away from him a final time and settled down to the thrill that is tax-prep, and we laughed until we ached every time he ran off with them.  God bless curious little cats. 

11 comments:

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hi Val,

Glad that things are going well for you and that you can smile!

Have a good week

Fiona

Kim said...

you sound like you are in the same spot as me. I have been so down about the weather-and each time it has looked like it will warm up and I get a bit happy then it snows yet again :) I have also been trying to find the good in the little things- Stuffed's video is one of those and made me smile. happiness is a paperclip to some,right? Sorry to hear that you missed your daffodils ♥

Vintage Jane said...

What a lovely uplifting post!

Lisa said...

Oh, he is just lovely!

Colleen said...

All the colors are so beautiful! It's so hard to appreciate the small things.

Nellie said...

That cat! Such a source of enjoyment!

All the colors are so cheerful!

Amy said...

even when I'm feeling all 'meh', your posts always manage to make me smile. :)

*hug* thanks for that.

Val said...

Thank you all. :) Stuffed is a character, for sure. And Kim, "Happiness Is A Paperclip" would be a great name for something. If ever I change the name of my blog, may I borrow that?! Too funny. :)

June said...

I LOVE your attitude Val! and WOW!I LOVE your laugh too. SO cute. Stuffed is a darling :)
hugs from here...

Kim said...

Val- happiness is a paperclip would make a great blog name :) You can use it for whatever you like- I believe in sharing :) Sometimes I wish I remembered to be more grateful for the little things like paperclips- it's a good reminder :) Hope your sun is shining today!!

Val said...

Thank you, June and Kim. :)