Wednesday, February 27, 2013

We Make Our Own Sunshine

Likely because I have had to spend the past few days inside the apartment waiting for packages to be delivered, I am craving sunshine and light and fresh air and bold colors like mad lately.  The joke has been on captive-feeling, Cabin Fever-ed me so far this week, since although online shipping notifications stated that the packages were "out for delivery" starting in the morning both Monday and yesterday, the buzzer didn't ring until 3 p.m. Monday and until 6 p.m. last night, so I had stayed indoors "for nothing" hour after hour both days when I could have bundled up and headed out for a walk.  I love my little home, but even a homebody needs fresh air and exercise, especially a homebody who recently polished off most of a Valentine's Day carrot cake by herself.  :)  

This reminds me to tell you that in last Sunday's post about my grandmother, I should have mentioned that whenever my dad would try to get Grandma to join Papa on his daily walk or to do a bit of exercise on her own, Grandma would shake her head and reply, "But I did that already!  When I was a schoolgirl, we all had to do fitness exercises!"  As if physical activity was a life event.  :)  Year after year, Dad argued the benefits of a daily walk, but Grandma never budged on the issue.  She had done that already, end of story.  Remembering their frustrating-to-each-other arguments on this still makes me laugh. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . . .Stuffed and I have spent my time off this week here in the apartment, Stuffed more often than not cuddled up with paws outstretched under the space heater or radiator while I've tried to get some more projects crossed off my seemingly epic To Do list.  I have been faux-upholstering (just kind of making it up as I go along) the wing chair above for awhile now.  A post for another day, and hopefully, not too long from now either, as I'm eager to be done with this project.  After rearranging the fabric squares with straight pins the past couple days, I think I have the patchwork the way I want it.  (A quick glance behind me and I see it's changed a little more since I took that photo, but you get the idea.)  The seat, for now, is a vintage pink roses baby blanket.  It's not at all a cutter, and I almost hate to hide the size and condition of it by using it as a chair seat, but it's also perfect for the project, so for now, it stays.  I haven't touched the chair's sides or bottom/skirt yet and have only begun to re-cushion the arms, so there is still much to do, but it's beginning to look the way I'd envisioned it.  And Stuffed has been content to nap in the warmth instead of nosing around the needles, thread, and hot glue, so we're both happy.  
A few rays of sunlight have been spotted in here this week. 
Pay Day will find me treating myself to this year's first bundle of Daffodils.  They are my favorites, so they show up here and there in various ways in the apartment year-round, but there's nothing like a real Daffodil, especially during these dreary end-of-winter weeks. 
February wraps up tomorrow.
March is almost here. 
And today itself is cozy and certainly good enough, with its comfy cat and spots of light and its colorful patches and tea and a husband on the way home from work soon.  There is even--although Grandma would shudder at the thought--time and opportunity for a brisk walk.  Life is good, life is very good, and let me not forget it. 

15 comments:

Whimsey Creations said...

I love patchwork furniture - you're doing a wonderful job!

Val said...

Thank you, Jill. :) So do I. I'd cover everything in patchwork--It makes me happy.

I look forward to getting to the "after" of the "before and after" I have in my head of this chair. :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your wingback is looking very colorful and happy. It will blend nicely with everything else in your sweet apt.

Hugs to you dear Val ~ FlowerLady

Kim said...

I just love the way you decorate- makes me smile every time I visit your blog. I am in Minnesota and when it is cold I would have to say I am with your Grandma on the walks outside-but come spring after work it is hard to get me to come inside for the night. I love daffodils too- I planted some in my backyard last fall and if they actually grow and are not eaten by any critters I'll let you know when I post pictures on my blog so you can share their beauty with me. Of course- in Minnesota that is not till late April, so it won't be for awhile yet :) Hope the rest of your week is wonderful and you get some more of your to-do list done. (of course, something always takes it's place, doesn't it?) ♥

Nellie said...

I love the way you write, Val, and really enjoy your stories about your grandmother. Enjoy those daffodils!

Lesa said...

I wish my wing back looked that colorful! I know everything will look sunny when you finish!

Val said...

Thank you, Lorraine, Kim, Nellie, and Lesa (and Jill again). :)

I think it'll look the way I'd planned when I finish, so I'm happy so far. Thank you. :)

Kim, I hope your Daffodils are left alone. My parents have deer who like to visit their gardens and chomp on things, so I know it's iffy. 'Go to bed and your flowers look great, wake up and the blooms are bitten off. Don't get me started on my dad's views on groundhogs! Good luck. :)

Kim said...

LOL- I think we probably have the same views on the ground hog. I just had one move in my front garden late fall before the snow and I've never had one before so if he has good tips please let me know :) I have a dog so I'm hoping the dog deters the deer a little- we'll see!

Val said...

Kim, if he's found anything that works, he hasn't told me, the groundhog lover. :)

Kim said...

:) well I had read about a groundhog repellent granule that was supposed to chase them right off as they did not like the smell- I was soooo hoping that you were going to say he swears by it. I don't want to kill the little buggers- I'm even cool with him living in my yard- just not my flower beds. guess it's part of mother nature teaching me to live in community with my fellow creatures :)

20 North Ora said...

Your wingback chair is looking really great! Enjoy your daffodils.

Judy

Jenny Woolf said...

That patchwork is beautiful. I am glad you're getting some sunshine even if it is just a few rays. Your grandma was so different from mine. My grandma used to drag everyone out on walks, even though nobody wanted to go. I am glad she did, now!

Val said...

Thank you, Judy and Jenny. :)

Abbey Crafton said...

Just found your blog and I love it! Colorful ( I love color) and down to earth charm. I had a groundhog living under my potting shed! They are difficult to get rid of. I trapped mine in a human trap and had a friends husband drive him far out into the middle of nowhere to release him. Best of luck!
Darly
of Crafton Abbey

Val said...

Thank you, Abbey! What a sweet comment. I'll be the neighborhood Crazy Lady someday who wants people to drop off groundhogs on her property. :)