While napping yesterday afternoon, I dreamed that while talking with Mom in her kitchen, I mentioned missing being able to write letters to Grammy and how I always ache when I see pink things in the stores that look like something she'd love. "You can write to her or send her anything you want," Mom responded, clearly puzzled. "She loves hearing from you." It didn't feel at all like a dream, our interaction and the setting were so realistic. I goggled at her a few moments before telling her I didn't understand. What was wrong with Mom neurologically now, I wondered, just as I would in real life, that she didn't remember that her own mother has died? She looked back at me with what was probably an expression identical to mine until I finally explained, "Mom--Grammy died. Or. . .I thought she died. . . ?" She looked both pained to hear me say that and relieved to understand finally why I had been so baffled. I spelled out for her that I had thought--wrongly, it was turning out--that Grammy had died last January, we had all gone to her service in New York, and I had even spoken at it. I told her I could share more details but that I didn't want to hurt her. She said, sounding just how she would in real life, that it hurt her more to find out that I had thought Grammy had been gone going on two years and that I hadn't been in touch with her in all that time. None of it even happened, I realized, a thrill of horror and gratitude sweeping over me: Grammy is still alive! Sommer's cousin isn't on a ventilator post-Covid! Stuffed is still here with us! Mikes' mom didn't have a stroke! It was all a dream! All the other losses of 2020 and 2021 were just bad dreams! I started to cry from the incredible relief of it, and I woke up then for real, and really in tears. Mom called a couple hours later to tell me that one of my cousins has a brain tumor. January 2020-onward: And so it goes.
I pray and rest and appreciate beauty and keep in touch and listen to music and walk and work and cook good food and try to write and try to read, but life has felt more rough-patch-ish than not for so very long now--and for so many of us. I told Mike the other day that although I don't feel like I can focus enough to write very well the past couple years and can't concentrate long enough to read as voraciously as I did before either, I need to keep trying. It will be creativity that saves me this time, just as it has so many times before. Bear with me, then, as I try to find the words to tell the stories. It's been a long hard slog that has almost muted me, but I will keep trying.
I will keep trying.










7 comments:
I have missed you, Val! Sending you hugs and encouragement!
Val, it is so good to see a post by you today. You have had such a tough time, but I'm still glad that you have come back to tell us a bit more. It's so hard to work through some problems and life challenges,but you certainly do try your best to continue on. That is the only thing that really matters in this life. Your pictures are beautiful and they are uplifting. I sincerely hope you're coming winter is nothing like what you've been through the last couple years. Lynn and Precious XX
Dear Sweet Val,
The echoes of your dream have resonated down the days for the whole world lately, it seems. Would that we could waken to a fresh morning, with no concerns or consciousness of the events of such a confusing, confounding time. Your own bright mind and sweet spirit stand you in good stead in these trying times, and in the loss of my own words, yours have lifted me into the Bright more than once during this ordeal. For some strange reason, that long-looming shadow is uplifting in its own way---like one of those posters with the inspiring slogans, with the image of your long strides and unfaltering footsteps through and past and over such trials, taking us all to the other side in Seven-League Boots. (Which I see as Val-green Mary Janes).
Much love from the Heartland, Sweet Friend, and sweeter dreams to come.
Yes, Val, keep trying. xoxo
Nellie, Lynn, Rachel, and Lisa: Thank you all. ♥ 'Such kind words. Thank you.
It took me so long to find the comment button, but I did eventually. I am so sorry that you have been going through a rough couple of years Val. It has been that way for many of us. Here is hoping that 2022 will be better, but somehow I wonder if it will. In any case, I, like you, will keep trying and keep hoping and keep moving forward. Standing still is not an option. I have gotten through these couple of years trying to cling onto the small and sweet blessings that I find in each day. Sometimes I have to look really hard, but I always find them. Sometimes I sit on the edge of my bed at night and I just cry because the words won't come, but I know my Heavenly Father hears my heart. I find it helps to talk about things, and for me anyways, blogging has been a great release. I will keep you in my heart and prayers sweet girl. Just keep on trucking, hoping and believing that better days are ahead for us all. Sending you much love. ((((hugs))))
Apna Shobroom Kuber Yantra and Vyapar Vridhi Yantra are designed to attract abundance. Pooja and handcrafted brass lamp with Panchdeep Diya for worship. For rituals, store water in a brass Gangjal urn. Women's hair accessories include hair comb, lice comb and stylish Apna Showroom 24k Gold Plated Durghatna Nivarak Yantra for Home, Office, Business, and Puja Ghar - Spiritual Energy and Prosperity Enhancement (Yantras Sidh Durghatna Nivarak Yantra, Medium, 13X13cm)
Apna Showroom 24k Swiss Gold Plated Shri Sampurna Rog Nashak Yantra for Home, Office, Business, and Puja Ghar - Spiritual Energy and Prosperity Enhancement (Shree Sampurna Rognasak, Medium, 13x13cm)
Apna Showroom 24k Gold Plated Shree Sampurna Vastu Yantra for Home, Office, Business, and Puja Ghar - Spiritual Energy and Prosperity Enhancement
metal hairband. Beautify with 5 hair daily pins set and tick TAC hair clip. Children aged 6–12 months remain snug and comfortable in soft cotton socks.
Post a Comment