Sunday, May 10, 2020

43 Begins

'Surreal days, all of them anymore, but a new year begins and I face it determined to focus on kindness and goodness and gratitude and beauty as always.  My seemingly-adult-life-long fight against depression rages on daily (hourly!) these days, of course, but I can lose a few of those battles and still win the war.  I have little concentration for writing or reading the past couple months, but I  journal a bit, at least, and I can get through about a chapter of a book before finding myself reading more news stories again instead.   I usually write a dozen pages a week and am such a fast reader, but not lately.  (What's turning into this spring's--and at this rate, maybe this summer's--books, then:  Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand and The Splendid and the Vile:  A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson.)  The lost time between loved ones is what makes me saddest.  I know you know.  I have been writing and rewriting this paragraph off and on for three hours.  Ay yi yi.  'Alternate blog post title tonight:  The Pandemic:  I Know You Know. 
As in my last post, almost every picture I take anymore is taken on my walk to work or my walk home from work--Essential Workers, unite!--as the only other place I've been since March is the grocery store weekly and the post office once.  From what little I see of it on my walks to/from, though, this has been a beautiful spring.  I've missed seeing and smelling Lilacs this year, since there are none along my to/from work-route and I've been skipping longer walks until it feels safer to be outside, but all the other spring blooms have been lovely, and I've appreciated spring--both the fact of it and the specifics of it--more this year than any other.  Birdsong, for example, is especially lovely and welcome in the wee hours when I'm either still struggling to fall asleep at all or awake too early after another night of nightmares.  I have somehow always loved birdsong but never truly appreciated it until this spring--so now, I suppose, I can say I'm truly loving it for the first time.  It is one of the good things I will likely most vividly remember about this anxiety-filled time, the tender sounds of the birds breaking into the darkness.  There have been more than a few days this year I've gone to work on no sleep or two-or-three hours of sleep.  On my days off lately, I sometimes relax enough to fall sleep only after the sun's come up for the day.  Maybe I'd never truly loved mornings until now either.  Maybe even I, then, ever-determined to live looking for the pretty in the rough patches, will now learn right-down-to-the-bones-and-beyond levels of gratitude. 
Take care of yourselves and of each other, Friends.  If we can't be kind to ourselves and to each other during a PANDEMIC, though, really. . . Heaven help us.  And I do think most people are rising to meet the moment.  ♥  I leave you now with not only a flower petal heart,
but also--and this year would be the year I find one--a heart in a roll of toilet paper.  :)

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I burst out laughing with your last photo and comment. How fitting! Dear sweet Val, belated happy 43rd birthday. When I first met you online you were in your early 20's, time sure has marched on hasn't it. Bless your heart for looking for the beauty in each day. God's continued blessings on you. Love, hugs and prayers for you and yours sweet girl ~ FlowerLady

La Table De Nana said...

You are a front line worker♥
I got up this morning and that's always ..no..often my first thought..that this pandemic is a thief..a thief of memories concerning grandaparents and children..and people needing health care that can't right now because everything is pushed back..school age children and their activities..
a television of shocking scenes..
and heartwarming scenes..
All the deaths..all the poor innocent extended care patients that didn't make it..that are lonely.
All the lonely people..where do they all belong?
Not alone.
I can't concentrate on books either!

And bad leaders and good leaders..
Bless You sweet Val..
Everyone..is feeling blue..harder when we are pre-disposed ..:(Much harder.
Virtual hugs xxx

Lynn and Precious said...

Happy Birthday, Val. Thank you for stopping in to see Precious.
Life can just be so complicated when we wish for else. Sometimes
a struggle to see the beauty in the world around when you only want
your personal day to be easier. I hope you can start getting the
much needed sleep you deserve. Keep listening to the bird song in
the otherwise quiet that we have around us without normal life going on.
Glad you found toilet paper, first off, and one with a heart!

Jenny said...

Hi Val, I join everyone else in wishing you a Happy Birthday, you are a gift to so many... me included :-) I appreciate you and always enjoy your blog posts-thank you for still being here - it means a lot, especially in these times. i LOVE what you said right at the start about loosing a few battles BUT still winning the war. i am writing that in my journal today! also love the heart toilet paper roll-only you kiddo...only you! happy you found some-delighted it held a secret message just for you. beautiful pictures-you capture more than is actually "in frame".... that's a gift. hope you keep at it. hugs, peace, best wishes Val. be good to yourself ;-)

Jenny said...

ps, i just discovered if you type in Birdsong sounds, Rainforest sounds, etc, on Google-it brings up videos to play of those sounds. i like that :-)

Val said...

Thank you all--and thank you for that "sounds" tip, Jenny. :) That'll be fun to explore today. ♥