Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Today's Pre-Christmas-Tree Project: Patchwork Walls

After being bothered year after year by the bare wall behind-and-beside the mantel--and that is always behind our Christmas tree in pictures--I finally figured out what I wanted to do with itpatchwork, of course--and set to work.  
I went back and forth about it for awhile this morning but decided just to use dabs of hot glue to hang the fabric pieces since I've already told the apartment's building manager I'll fix up the walls with a fresh coat of paint whenever the day comes to move out.  If I have to spackle/patch a few more spots before repainting, I'll live.  Scrap by scrap this morning, then, the narrow strip to at least one side of the mantel was transformed.  The rest will have to wait until tomorrow, but ooh la la, even this much just SENDS me.  :)
Below is what it looked like pre-Christmas tree last year. 
The green floral wall is only about three feet wide, and the formerly-bare one a little over two feet.  After Christmas, this tiny corner will become my writing corner.  I've already chosen a (black) corner-desk, since the two desks I've inherited from grandparents are both still at my parents' house and neither would fit into this little apartment anyway, and I have a few other things tucked away in the bedroom closet to add to my writing spot once it's all set up.  Before that, though, it'll be the corner for the tree. 
By tomorrow. . . !
And between this and the patchwork lampshade I dolled-up in September, I'll have used almost my entire stash of saved fabric pieces, which is a most satisfying little accomplishment.  It annoys me to have bags of things like that sitting around or squirreled away, especially in such a small home.  Stuffed approves. 
Ah, home! 
Love, love, love!  And soon, there will be a Christmas tree and twinkling lights in this picture--All the better. 

5 comments:

Lisa said...

You work hard fixing up that place! Good for you! It seems very ambitious to me, to patchwork a wall.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your patch 'work' looks beautiful, Val! Very warm and inviting. It's fun to make a space our own, even if it's not permanent. Please share when it's all festive andyour writing area is settled. It all sounds great.

Happy Holidays!

Jane

Jenny Pesavento said...

oh Val! this is adorable!! makes me smile. looking forward to the tree addition picture. maybe you have enough leftover scraps to make some kind of simple garland and/or ornament!!! you are so clever :)

ps... i've never done a "captcha" like this one! it's like playing the memory card game-lol

Nellie said...

Great project, Val! Will love seeing the tree in place, too! XO Nellie

Val said...

Thank you all. :)

And Jenny, I didn't even know there was a "captcha" to leave comments here. There shouldn't be--I have it set up so as not to require them, so there must be a glitch. Ahh, technology. :)