Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thanksgiving Fudge and Frogs

The sore throat I dodged a few weeks ago has returned, so the Thanksgiving mail I'd hoped to send out this week remains a stack of blank cards and unaddressed envelopes while I laze about trying to nurse myself back to better health.  We'll see how tomorrow looks.  Tonight I'm remembering this package of maple-walnut fudge I mailed to Aunt Laurie a few Thanksgivings ago.  (I think this was the recipe I used.  The fudge was quite rich, but good.)   My sweet aunt is not really a frog-collector, or to be more accurate, she is not really a frog-collector of her own volition.  As a kid, I told my mom that since her older sister's favorite color was green, we should start her a collection of something that color, and frogs were what I came up with--!?--so for about thirty years now, long-suffering Aunt Laurie has received frog-themed nonsense from me.    In 2011, I taped this Kermit inside the turquoise pencil case I filled with the fudge, and one Thanksgiving, a magazine clipping of a photo of Kermit-as-a-Macy's-Parade-Float adorned her card's envelope.  Fudge-making likely won't be happening here this week, but I hope to mail out a Thanksgiving sticker-ed card or two--and at least one bit of mail with some smiling green silliness for my dear aunt.  

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Val, you are such a sweet niece. I am sure your Aunt really appreciates the thought and the fudge. It looks great! Sore throats are a real pain. I felt like I was getting one earlier this month and I just gargled with some salt water and it never really came on. Whew! love and hugs! xxoo

Val said...

Thank you, Marie. :)

Nellie said...

I send along healthy vibes to you, Val! Hope that sore throat becomes a thing of the past very soon! Happy Thanksgiving!

Balisha said...

A sore throat...oh no! Keep hydrated with tea and water. Gargle with salt and rest...A sore throat cure from Dr. Balisha :)
Have a nice Thanksgiving...
Balisha

Anonymous said...

Oh, V., I hope you are feeling better soon!
Have you tried drinking Manuka Honey, (from New Zealand) in warm water. Hot water will ruin the healing properites of it. You can Google info on it if you wish. Just a little something I use for sore throats.
Blessings upon your Thanksgiving,
Lily

Val said...

Thank you all. My throat feels better. Now I just have a cough and headache. Progress! :)

And can you believe that even after writing this post, I forgot to add a FROG! to Aunt Laurie's card that I mailed out today. Ha! Cold medicine brain. :)

Val said...

And happy Thanksgiving to you all too. ♥