Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mantel Skirt

A year after finding the right paint color for the mantel, I've finished dolling it up by attaching a skirt to the bottom.  The pink gingham-with-roses fabric is a curtain valance I found at Goodwill about six years ago for a dollar and bought knowing I'd find a use for it someday.  Someday arrived a few weeks ago when I realized this would make the perfect finishing touch for the mantel.  Since I couldn't bear to cut into the material, I just slipped a tension rod through the opening at the top and am letting the extra length drape onto the floor at the bottom.  I now keep my boxes of note cards, holiday cards, stationery, and stickers in the space behind the curtain.  (The Cat in the Hat is the school's next surprise delivery.  He was finally packed away yesterday afternoon.)  The pink skirt ties the white wood and the pink wall together better, and the mantel looks cozier now than it did pre-skirt in the two pictures below. 
And the roses in the skirt match the wooden rose applique above it. 
 And I am much happier now that that's all figured-out.  The "mantel project" still requires--in my mind--some twinkle lights and a hooked rug, and I want to add a  red heart here somewhere too, and I'm thinking about extending the fabric "wallpaper" (in another pattern) to either side of the pink yardstick "borders" so the bare wall won't be showing at all, BUT the skirt, at least, gets me one step closer to the vision I have for this little wall. 
Ah!  The pure contentment of simply puttering around one's home like this! 

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Lovely fabric, Val, and such a nice touch! I'm glad you are able to find time for these things now and then.
We have a Cat in the Hat at the library like that one - a big one. (looks like your guy was trying to surreptitiously get at your stationery - better make sure he didn't!)

La Table De Nana said...

It's PERFECT!
Dr Seuss Approved:)

Nellie said...

What a lovely project you have completed! That's a wonderful thing you are doing for the school.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That fabric is lovely and I love how you used it, and yes it does tie everything together.

You inspire me dear Val.

FlowerLady

Val said...

Thank you all. :)